Women’s lacrosse drops two to conference powerhouses Oregon, Stanford

With the 2014 season quickly drawing to a close, UC Davis women’s lacrosse took on Oregon and Stanford this past week, with both games unfortunately ending unfavorably for the Aggies.

The athletes first traveled to Eugene, Ore. for a single conference game on April 13. Although the Aggies fought hard, the Ducks were too much for the team, as they fell to Oregon 8-4. However, several highlights can still be taken away from the game.

Four of UC Davis’ players added to their overall goals scored this season. Junior Elizabeth Landry, senior Carly Voris, sophomore Mary Doyle and sophomore Courtney Neff each found the back of the net during the April 13 matchup. On the other end of the field, senior Jordan Majka flashed her skills in front of goal, tallying seven saves on the day.

With that win Oregon bettered their Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference record to 4-1 and the Aggies fell to 1-5. In hopes of bouncing back from that hard loss, UC Davis then traveled to face always solid Stanford in a mid-week matchup on April 15.

No. 13 Stanford was too much for UC Davis to handle, as the Aggies fell to the Cardinals, 18-6, in the night game. Landry, however, once again found the back of the net twice and added two assists to her overall season stats. Accounting for the other four goals that night, Voris netted two alongside Doyle, who posted two as well. However, six goals on the night would not be enough, as the Cardinals cruised to that 18-6 victory.

Stanford finished the night with an overall record of 11-2 and 5-1 in MPSF games, while Davis fell to 6-8 overall and 1-6 in conference.

With only two games left in the year, the Aggies hope to finish the 2014 season on a high note. These last two games will be played at home in Davis, Calif., which will hopefully give the Aggies that much-needed fan support to finish the year with two wins.

They first face Fresno State on April 18 and then take on Saint Mary’s on April 25 in the last game of the season.

SLOAN BOETTCHER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.