This week in men’s sports

This Week in Men's SportsCross Country:

Big West Championships (6th place)

Competing against the rest of the conference in the Big West Championships, the UC Davis men’s cross country team finished sixth out of eight teams. UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly finished first and second, respectively in the race.

The Aggies were once again led by junior Brandon Pugh, who finished in 13th place individually. The next UC Davis runner to come in was junior Jordan Rushing in 31st place. The Aggies now look forward to the Doc Adams Open that will take place at UC Davis this Saturday.

Football (1-7):

UC Davis vs. Northern Colorado (L, 27-21)

The Aggies football team faced off against Northern Colorado at home last Saturday, losing 27-21 in game that came down to the last second.  The Northern Colorado Bears came into the game, having won just one of their past five Big West games, and jumped to an early lead before doing just enough to hold on for a win.

Freshman quarterback Ben Scott and junior wide receiver Ramon Vargas were once again spectacular for the Aggies. Scott threw for 301 yards and two touchdowns but was intercepted with seconds left in the game in scoring position. In the five games that Scott was not behind center, Vargas caught just four balls. Since then, the receiver has averaged over eight catches for 130 yards per game.

The Aggies will now play two straight games away before returning to UC Davis to face Sacramento State on Nov. 22, the last game of the season.

Soccer (6-9-3):

UC Davis @ UC Santa Barbara (L, 1-0)

UC Davis @ Sac. State (L, 3-2)

After losing 1-0 in Davis, the UCSB Gauchos were able to score their revenge as they defeated the Aggies 1-0 in overtime. The lone goal of the game was scored near the end of the first overtime period. Sophomore goalie Armando Quezada was able to keep the goal clean for the rest of the game, finishing with four saves.

The second game of the week proved to be more high-scoring as UC Davis and Sac State combined to score 5 goals. The Aggies were able to keep the game close, but could not overcome two red cards given to UC Davis players. Seniors Matt Sheldon and Ramon Martin Del Campo each scored a goal as they were recognized on the Aggies senior night. The last game of the season will take place on Wednesday against Cal Poly before the team moves onto Big West Championships.

Tennis:

Saint Mary’s Invitational

Several Aggies were able to score upsets at the Saint Mary’s Invitational. Sophomore Alec Adamson finished the tournament with a share of the Flight A singles title after defeating teammate sophomore James Wade in the semifinals. Wade left his own mark on the tournament, defeating the top-seeded player in the draw before falling to Adamson.

The Aggies will now take a hiatus until January when match-play will begin.

Water Polo (13-15):

UC Davis vs. No. 6 UC San Diego (L, 10-6)

UC Davis vs. No. 18 Loyola Marymount (W, 12-7)

The Aggies were able to split the first two games of a three-game homestand, defeating one ranked opponent and falling to another. The Aggies finished the first quarter against UC San Diego and tied before allowing the Tritons to outscore them 7-2 over the next two periods. Only one Aggie was able to score more than one goal while freshman goalie Spencer Creed finished with six saves.

Against Loyola Marymount, UC Davis was propelled to victory by outstanding performances by Creed and junior Sean Grab. Creed finished with 11 saves and Grab had four goals. The Aggies entered the last period of the game up by just two points but blanketed their opponents and scored three goals to finish with a five-goal advantage.

Graphic by Courtesy