Q&A with Yoga Bear PC Repair

Michael Grippi repairs computers with a yoga zen. In February, the senior communication major started Yoga Bear, where PCs are repaired and advice is free of charge. The Aggie sat down with Grippi to discuss his passion for repairing computers, meditating and helping people.

How did you start up Yoga Bear?

It was totally spontaneous. It came to me one morning when I was meditating, actually.

When a computer crashes, it’s a terrible feeling. We’re so attached to them these days and it straight up sucks when you lose saved photos, music, videos or incredibly important documents.

With Yoga Bear, I focus on communication. I try to put people at ease by keeping them calm throughout. It’s sort of an added service.

I’m able to stay calm and I can use communication methods to make the whole experience more personable. I try to bring as much compassion to the table as possible.

We do charge for computer repair, but meditation is free. It’s not just a business, it’s also nonprofit work.

What experience do you have?

I have been working on computers for a long time. I’m a 26-year-old, so I’m a little bit older. I’ve worked in a computer shop all throughout high school, selling computers and learning how to fix them.

Once I was out of high school and in junior college, I did more corporate work in San Francisco and Santa Cruz. I’ve been doing this type of work for more than half my life, so I just decided to start a small company.

Yoga is a passion of mine and I’ve been in it for over 10 years now. I really try to live the yoga lifestyle since it’s more than just the act of yoga; it’s the way you eat, the way you treat people. It’s a life choice.

How did you come up with the name for your business?

I’m really hairy so I’ve always been called a bear since I was young. Also, my girlfriend is Russian, and in Russian my name, Michael, translates to bear. And I wanted the company to be about yoga, so she came up with the name Yoga Bear.

Where is Yoga Bear located?

It’s actually a totally mobile service. I live in Sacramento but I’m in Davis five days a week for school. I’ve visited people in their homes, offices and even on campus. If I’m available, I come out and fix the machine and if it’s a longer job, I bring the machine home.

Would you ever expand the business?

It’s definitely possible. I mean, at some point, I see an actual storefront location as a likelihood, probably in Davis, and I’m also thinking of bringing in an employee soon.

For more information visit yogabearpc.com.

CLAIRE TAN can be reached at city@theaggie.org.