Walker named DeYoung’s successor as women’s golf head coach

Kathy DeYoung built the program with her own hands. Now, she is passing it on.

Anne Walker, the current associate head coach at California, will assume the helm of the UC Davis women’s golf program on July 1. She will succeed DeYoung, who brought the sport to UC Davis in 2005 and is retiring after coaching at the university for 30 years.

“The program’s in perfect shape, and we’re bringing in somebody really good to take over,DeYoung said.Now I’ll know what it’s like to be a spectator again. I’ll miss the daily interaction with the [student athletes], but this is the right time for me and for the program.

“Im thrilled to be given the opportunity, Walker said in a press release. “Kathy has built a strong foundation for the program to be successful, and I look forward to continuing those efforts.

A former golf standout at Cal, Walker has been coaching at her alma mater since 2002. During her tenure, the Golden Bears have had three top-five national finishes, all of which came from 2004 to 2006.

As a player, the Lanarkshire, Scotland native became Cal’s first All-Pacific-10 honoree as a freshman, and she was a first-team Pac-10 All-Academic choice for three years. As a senior, Walker was also an Academic All-District VIII pick.

“We are delighted that Anne is going to be joining UC Davis, said Associate Athletics Director Bob Bullis. “She has great coaching experience and I believe she will take the team from where Kathy has gotten it in its three years and keep moving forward with it.

MICHAEL GEHLKEN can be reached at sports@californiaaggie.com.