News in brief

Abandoned boat bill moves forward

When a boat or other vessel is abandoned on a state waterway, the State Lands Commission has the authority to remove and dispose of it.

That process is cumbersome, however, requiring lawsuits filed through the Attorney General’s Office. A bill to simplify and expedite this process is currently making its way through the state legislature, according to a press release from the office of State Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis).

The bill, SB 459, was introduced by Wolk. It passed its first hurdle in the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee on an 8-1 vote and will next move to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“There are an increasing number of boat owners storing their vessels on state lands without permission, even dumping or abandoning their vessels,Wolk said in a written statement.These vessels often pollute the water and present safety issues. This problem is evident throughout the state and country’s waterways. But it is particularly acute in the Delta.

The bill will permit the commission to use an administrative process to determine whether a vessel has been abandoned or is trespassing.

Earth Day celebration set for Clarksburg River Park

Volunteers are invited to come out and take part in the California State Parks Foundation’s 12th annual Earth Day Restoration and Cleanup Day. A special event will be held at Clarksburg River Park in Yolo County on Saturday, April 25th.

From 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., volunteers will help plant native plants and clean up the riverbank, as well as pick up trash along the levee banks adjacent to the park, according to a press release.

“This is a great opportunity for volunteers to participate in native habitat restoration through the planting of native grasses and shrubs, and the installation of an irrigation system to help establish the plants,said Yolo County Supervisor Mike McGowan in a written statement.This is also a great opportunity to enjoy a beautiful morning celebrating Earth Day in one of Yolo County’s 17 park facilities.

Organizers are asking volunteers to arrive by 8 a.m. and bring gloves, hats, sunscreen, mosquito repellant, hand trowels and shovels. Volunteers should register for the event online at calparks.org/programs/earth-day.

Get your news posted here!

Do you have information about an event or news issue that you want to get out to the public? Send us an e-mail at city@theaggie.org and it may end up in our weekly online news in brief feature.