Bankruptcy interrupts city crossing guard service

After helping kids safely cross Davis streets for six years, crossing guard Heather Weinberg was shocked when she got a phone call telling her not to show up for work.

The phone call came from International Services, a contractor that has managed crossing guards in the city of Davis for the past 10 years. The company suddenly declared bankruptcy, leaving the citys crossing guards without pay.

“I don’t know what happened,said Jim Ivler, administrative services manager.Their supervisor told me right after she found out that day. The city attorney later confirmed it and a formal letter from the company eventually arrived.

Once notified that Davis did not have any more crossing guards, the police scrambled to maintain crossing guard services, Ivler said.

Contracts for crossing guards are managed by the Davis Police Department and paid for by the city of Davis and the Davis Joint Unified School District.

The police advised city and school district volunteers to help the children safely cross the streets. Police department employees and volunteers also assisted last week.

After word of International Service’s bankruptcy, American Guard Services Incorporated quickly took up the job and hired all existing guards back onto their streets. American Guard Services replaced the previous company in a week’s time and has completely restored the situation by hiring back guards.

Weinberg was one of the many volunteers who showed up willing to offer their time last week. She said she did not want to stop doing her job since she loves it.

“I like my job because I get to watch the children grow up,said Weinberg.I also get to meet everyone and get to know them.

ERIC SCHMIDT can be reached at city@theaggie.org. XXX