Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Women’s volleyball preview

Headline: Womens volleyball preview 

Event: Cougar Challenge

Teams: UC Davis vs. Washington State; Portland; Montana State

Records: Aggies, 0-0; Cougars, 0-0; Pilots, 0-0; Bobcats, 0-0

Where: Bohler GymPullman, Wash.

When: Friday at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 10 a.m., 4:30 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Libero Avreeta Singh finished her junior season on a high note as she earned All-Big West Conference honorable mention recognition.

Her 1,417 career digs are just 29 behind the schools all-time leader, Mary McClelland.

The Fresno, Calif. native is destined to become the all-time digs leader, but first is hoping to lead the Aggies to their first-ever Big West title.

Did you know? In her first full year as head coach, Jamie Holmes tripled the Aggies win total from the previous year. The Aggies improved their record to 12-17 in 2008 after posting a 4-24 mark in 2007.

Preview: The UC Davis volleyball program has high expectations this year. Holmes is looking to Singh as well as senior setter Carson Lowden and senior middle blocker Tori Hooper to lead the team this year and keep morale high.

My expectations of the seniors are high, Holmes said. Carson, Avreeta and Tori have competed in the conference for as long as we’ve been in it. They’ve been around the block.

Holmes isnt shy about speaking highly of the trio.

So far, they’re doing an excellent job of nurturing the team and setting the bar high, Holmes said. In terms of that internal leadership, they’ve come a long, long way. They’re really hungry to do something.

UC Davis will look to its seniors to get them going in the right direction as the Aggies open play this weekend at the Cougar Challenge in Washington.  

Kyle Hyland