Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Preview

Event: Texas Swimming and Diving Hall of Fame Invitational

Where: The Jamail Texas Swimming Center – Austin, Texas

When: Thursday through Saturday, all day.

Who to watch: Senior Scott Weltz is back in the pool for the Aggies after an almost three-week break from competition.

In his last meet, the San Jose, Calif. native won the 100-yard backstroke, placed second in the 100-yard butterfly and won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:33.97.

Did you know? This weekend, the men will compete against reigning national champion Auburn, as well a solid squad from Texas, the No. 1 ranked team in the nation.

Preview: The women return to competition after a 14th place finish at the Toshiba Classic in Long Beach, Calif. on Nov. 21.

At that tournament, sophomore Kayleigh Foley was a member of the 400-yard relay squad that placed 12th. She also advanced to the finals of the 100-yard freestyle after clocking a time of 51.78 in the preliminaries.

The men return to the pool for their first tournament of the year and their first action since Nov. 13 when they defeated Fresno Pacific at the Schaal Aquatics Center.

UC Davis will also be challenged by defending champion Auburn and host Texas.

The top-ranked Longhorns return 11 All-Americans from their 2008-2009 team that finished second in the NCAA Championships.

They also feature two Olympic gold medalists in Ricky Berens and Dave Walters.

The Texas Swimming and Diving Hall of Fame Invitational will mark the first time the men and women have competed at the same event in nearly a month. In the last joint meet, the men beat Denver while the women fell to the Pioneers.

– Aaron Fischman