FASHIONATION show to occur this Sunday

This Sunday the Student Fashion Association is holding their fourth annual fashion show at The Grad. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. and the walks down the runway commence at 7:15 p.m.

This will be the first time that the SFA has held their fashion show at The Grad. Joanne Brasch, a third-year graduate student in the textiles and clothing department, is very excited about this choice of venue.

“We felt it was important to incorporate an element of community outreach this year. We know Davis has a fashionable side and we wanted to provide a venue that was accessible to the general public and create an atmosphere where people can express themselves,” Brasch said.

Jasdeep Sidhu, a senior textiles and clothing major, feels that The Grad is a geographically-desirable location for those that live closer to campus.

“The last time we had the show, we found a lot of freshman didn’t really know about it, or if they did, they had a hard time getting there,” said Sidhu.

“We thought that The Grad would really cater to first-years and it would be fun for older students … Freeborn Hall, where we held the fashion show last year, is just another building on campus.”

Van Nuys Nguyen, a junior textiles and clothing major, encourages fashion fans to come and see the collections designed by their fellow students.

“[Attendees] can expect to see designs that are made by up-coming designers, like Jessica Wok and Ely Estoesta, both of whom are seniors majoring in textiles and clothing. Christine Ang, a junior majoring in textiles and clothing, also has a line,” Nguyen said.

The theme of FASHIONATION is to “share the love”. Students and style-enthusiasts can expect to see bright neon colors and urban-chic.

“The theme is supposed to be whimsical and neon-colored, almost mysterious. We’re going for neon, urban, not perfect, but still pretty. I know that that description is all over the place, but that’s what we’re going for,” Sidhu said.

The models shall also be showcasing local salon talent as well.

“We will also be working with the professional hair and makeup talent from Nina’s Studio in downtown Davis. The salon owner, Vanessa Silva, has helped with fashion shows in New York and she plans to bring that urban high fashion to Davis,” Brasch said.

Proceeds from the fashion show will be going towards a fund for a group of 20 textiles and clothing department students to study the fashion industry in New York.

“A lot of students are having hardships paying for things that they want to do. 20 students, including myself, are going to New York to expand our connections and to get an idea of what the fashion industry is like outside of California,” Sidhu said.

The touring textiles and clothing students will also get to shadow professional designers and visit historical fashion landmarks.

“They will be interviewing and job shadowing several designers, they will look into fashion marketing and retail within the city, and they will even check out a garment factory in New York that has been a historical cornerstone for the textiles industry,” Brasch said.

After FASHIONATION, the SFA will host a dance party at The Grad.

“Come out and support Davis designers as well as the fashion show, it’s not only a fashion show, there’s going to be a dance party afterwards, so come out and dance!” Nguyen said.

Brasch is especially proud of the SFA students as well as the textiles and clothing department.

“The textile and clothing department and all the hard working students have so much to offer Davis and the textiles industry as a whole, it only seems natural to showcase all of the local talent and passion. I hope after reading this article, everyone goes to their closet to dig out that really fun outfit they’ve been wanting to wear all winter,” Brasch said.

Tickets are $7 at the door, or can be pre-purchased for $5 at 129 Everson Hall or at the Memorial Union from 12 to 2 p.m.

MEGAN ELLIS can be reached at features@theaggie.org.