Female Athlete of the Year

Being named The California Aggie’s Athlete of the Quarter is nice, but for some people it’s just not good enough.

Paige Mintun is one of those people.

After yet another top-notch season leading the UC Davis basketball program to win after win, Mintun was named to her second-straight Big West Conference First Team.

“People might not know how difficult it is to win that award once, let alone twice in two years,” said coach Sandy Simpson.

Mintun put her dominance on display night after night and ended the season leading the team with 13 points per game, 4.6 rebounds per game and 35 total blocks.

Her points per game and blocks per game were also top-10 in conference along with her .464 field goal percentage and .372 three-point percentage.

The simple fact is that without Mintun, the Aggies just aren’t the same.

“Having Paige allows us to do so many different things,” Simpson said. “When she’s not in there, it takes two or three people to replace what she gives us.”

Mintun is not only integral to the Aggie squad, but to the UC Davis community as a whole.

“It’s like a safe haven here,” Mintun said. “When I see the band and I see the cheerleaders I’m like, ‘This is where I’m supposed to be.'”

The UC Davis community is proud to call Mintun an Aggie and, as a result, The California Aggie would like to name her UC Davis’ Female Athlete of the Year.

– Mark Ling