Monday, October 25, 2021

Fall Arts Preview: Art

ART

Sacramento Valley School of Landscape Painters

Grab a coffee and enjoy this exhibit at the cathartic John Natsoulas Gallery. If you’re without a car you can still see the Sacramento Valley without leaving Davis. This month’s exhibition at the John Natsoulas Art Gallery features art by artists at the Sacramento Valley School of Landscape Painters, many of which are inspired by Wayne Thiebaud and Gregory Kondos artwork. Caught at various points in the day, lighting and angles are two focuses of the artwork on display.

Featured Sacramento Valley artists include Deladier Almeida, Chella, Dwarka Bonner, Marti Walker, Mike Bagdonas, Philippe Gandiol, Marie-Therese Brown, Andrew Dorn and Leslie Toms. Bucolic landscape scenes will provide respite from long hours of studying. The art gallery also has tables where you can sit down, study and sip your coffee, completely surrounded by art. Ooh la latte, how’s that for a peaceful study setting?

For more information, go to natsoulas.com.

– Eleni Stephanides

Lost and Found: Visions of the Davis Art Center Permanent Collection

For a look at the history of the Davis arts movement of the sixties and seventies head over to The Tsao Gallery where the Davis Arts Center will present “Lost and Found: Visions of the Davis Arts Center Permanent Collection.” The centers 50th anniversary the DAC will be presenting 54 works by 34 artists many of which have taught or attended UC Davis, other have strong ties to the Davis community.

Ceramics, paintings, drawings, lithographs, photographs and mixed media pieces by artists like Robert Arneson, Richard Nelson and Wayne Thiebaud will be on display starting Friday until Nov. 19.

“The collection was started in the early 60’s when the DAC started to collect the work of virtually unknown artists” said Erie Vitiello executive director of the Davis Arts Center. “Now many of these artists are incredibly well known and beloved all across the country.”

For more information about DAC and gallery hours visit davisartscenter.org

– Anastasia Zhuravleva

Wonderers

From Oct. 7 to Dec. 12, the Nelson Gallery of UC Davis will put on a guest-curated photography exhibition entitled Wonderers. There will also be a public reception on opening night from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Matthias Geiger, faculty member of the UC Davis art department, is curating the event. This exhibit includes work from seven artists who have helped contribute to an exhibit that is intended to appeal to young, modern people.

Participating artists include Abby Banks, Cutter Collective, Richard Gilles, Justine Kurland, Joel Sternfeld and Kyer Wiltshire. In addition, there will be a published catalogue displaying essays and color plates.

According to the Nelson Gallery press release, this will be their last exhibition in room 124 of the Art Building. They will be renovating afterward and will re-open in January where the former University Club was.

For more information, go to nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu.

– Lea Murillo

12 Voices

Utilizing a medium that sustains profound history and beauty, Pence Art Gallery hosts the first West Coast showcase of 12 Voices, an art quilt exhibit presented by Studio Art Quilt Associates.

12 Voices showcases over 26 pieces of commissioned work; art quilts made by local artists as well as two ‘challenge quilts’ which 12 artists and quilters collaborated to complete. These pieces take on the traditional quilting methods as well as implementing new digital technologies and ideas. It’s a new kind of execution combining painting, poetry and love for fabric and quilting – where tradition meets modernism and ideas take concrete form.

In conjunction with the main exhibit, the event hosts other activities such as quilt films, quilt demonstrations, tea and exhibit tours, and more.

12 Voices exhibit will continue through Nov. 14 with an opening reception on Oct. 8, 6 to 9 p.m. For more information visit pencegallery.org.

– Uyen Cao

THE ARTS DESK can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.