Thursday, October 28, 2021

Field Hockey Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. No. 18 Stanford

Records: Aggies, 3-4 (0-3); Cardinal 6-3 (2-1)

Where: Aggie Stadium

When: Saturday at 3 p.m.

Who to watch: Sophomore Nadia Namdari has been off to a hot start this season.

The Escondido, Calif. native leads the team with four goals and 13 shots on goal.

She is also tied for the team lead in assists with three.

Did you know? UC Davis freshman Cloey LemMon has been named the NorPac Conference Rookie of the week the last two weeks.

The Morgan Hill, Calif. native scored a goal and tallied an assist in the Aggies most recent game against California.

LemMon has scored two goals on the season and all four of her shots have been on goal.

Preview: UC Davis enters its second home contest of the year still searching for its first ever NorPac win.

The Aggies will face a tough challenger in the Cardinal, who enter the game coming off of a 4-2 defeat on the road against No. 8 Wake Forest.

In their match-up earlier this season at Stanford, the Aggies played well, but still ended up with a 3-1 loss.

Despite taking the defeat, UC Davis will try to do some of the same things in their upcoming meeting.

“Last time we did a good job maintaining control of the game,” said coach Vianney Campos. “With a team like Stanford you need to make sure you minimize their opportunities and that’s what we need to do.”

The Aggies are also feeling confident due to the fact that they have come to be somewhat familiar with the Cardinal team.

During the offseason UC Davis practiced against Stanford on multiple occasions and it showed them what they are capable of.

“We played against them in the spring,” Campos said. “We know we’re capable of playing with them.”

The Aggies are also feeling good because of the way they’ve been playing over the last several weeks.

“We’ve played well and we’ll carry forward our momentum when we play Stanford,” Campos said.

– Trevor Cramer