Letter to the Editor: Column overlooked Israel’s faults

Rob Olson’s April 5 column “The Israel Question” touched on some interesting points. Yes, dialogue and context is necessary in any situation. Yes, both Palestinians and Israelis have their faults. But there are certain facts that can not and should not just be pushed under the rug. College students may be liberal thinkers, but giving gays and women rights does not cover up the fact that Israelis are stealing land from those who were there before them and putting Palestinians through the humiliation and torture of check points, arrests, and limited rights. College students should be discussing how the world has allowed Israel to carry on in such a manner. Why does the U.S. send over $8.2 million dollars of military aid per day to Israel when right in our backyard, education at all levels is suffering and we have yet to recover from the housing crisis? We should be discussing how the world’s hegemonic power, that which prides itself on equality, liberty, and freedom for all, can support a nation that segregates people based on race, down to the license plates on the cars and the roads they can travel on. Israel puts on a good front, but their true intentions are to continue building scattered and expanding settlements, despite the United Nations condemning them, making the goal of a Palestinian state ever more difficult to reach.

LYLA RAYYAN

Junior, International Relations

1. AD,

You and your friends are really pathetic.

To compare a scholar like Raymond Ibrahim with Jon Stewart shows how pathetic you and your argument is.

Furthermore, I have done my best to respond to your points. If I have missed some then please tell me which ones and if I can I will respond as directly to it as I possibly can.

But let’s cut through all the silliness. It is you who refuses to engage me in the points that I have raised. You trun this around and blame me for doing exactly what it is you are guilty of.

Here is exactly what you are doing:

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/8348/muslims-project-islam-worst-traits-onto-israel

PS. It’s worth noting that Syrian police fired on a funeral procession today which acknowledges what I wrote last night about how Muslims do this all the time.

AD, why don’t you explain for us why Muslims do this so often. TIA.

2. Glad you agree Jon Stewart’s opinion doesn’t weigh in much on this issue! Thus totally debasing your argument!

I’m really glad you have this thing where you skip over points you can’t respond to.

Listen, this issue has nothing to do with religion. You’re inciting nothing and looking foolish in the process. So by all means, continue. It’s actually quite enjoyable to watch you ramble on.

3. Yet, you are wrong because her piece does not solely represent the Muslim opinion. Many non-Muslims would agree with her and thus your initial argument is faulty.

How could you even argue something- when you don’t even know what you began your argument with? Again, another indication that you are just here to troll. 4chan, please.

4. YYY,

I stand corrected. My apologies for that oversight. That said, the link I posted was perfectly appropriate as a response to the author’s letter, as the link described exactly what she was doing.

Allahu Akbar!

5. Ad writes, “Jon Stewart has been one of the biggest critics of Israel’s policies towards Palestinians.”

Gosh now he’s someone who carries some real weight on this issue.

Speaking of comedy and comedians. I think it IS well past time we lighten up a bit. After all it is Friday night. Here’s a little humour to help get the weekend started out on a fun-loving note!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse-hole/124604-suicide-bombers.html

6. J4A writes, “the links are ridiculous. If you cant argue your point then please stop replying with links. just stop replying. You have honestly made a complete fool of your self. I doubt you would win in an argument in person so i guess we should just let you be a man on the internet and cyber bully ppl–please see a psychiatrist for that.”

You do know, J4A. they make meds for people with your issues? Just a friendly suggestion from someone who cares.

7. J4A writes, “I would like to commend the Author of this well written and thought out piece and those in support of peace. No where in her article did she address RELIGION. This Arafat dude has done nothing but attack ISLAM and not said any factual information.”

Wow, good point! It was the commentator Free Palestine in the fourth comment who brought up religion, and using my First Amendment right I replied.

Is it OK at UC/Davis to use one’s First Amendment rights or is that constitutional right no longer practiced here?

8. Ignorantblip writes, “you dont do your own homework, you only quote from racist bigoted websites and sources, and it clearly shows, and i laugh because of that. any scholar knows those websites are one-sided. I dont know if you attend uc davis, i highly doubt it, who knows if youre even educated.”

She’s (note apostrophe) calling me uneducated? Now that’s (note apostrophe) funny.

Speaking of scholars are you referring to men like the following Islamic scholars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VFcJTIduw&feature=player_embedded

http://crombouke.blogspot.com/2010/01/islamic-irrationalism-and-anti.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344019/Vulture-tagged-Israeli-scientists-flies-Saudi-Arabia-arrested-spy.html

I don’t know but I’d (note apostrophe) rather throw my money in with the following worldwide respected (except for in Islamic countries) “scholar”. This is what he, Richard Dawkins, has to say about Islam. Gee! He sounds an awful lot like me.

http://freethoughtnation.com/contributing-writers/63-acharya-s/479-richard-dawkins-islam-is-one-of-the-great-evils-of-the-world.html

9. I can’t fully understand what Arafat’s rant about religion has to do with this opinion piece or why he has chosen this as a forum to spread his propaganda. This is not the place for this kind of behavior.

If you are trolling for attention- then you need to go to some website like 4chan.

Everyone else, please stop wasting your time with this troll.

Anyways, good points, Lyla.