News-in-brief: City of Davis to hold job skills workshop

The City of Davis will be hosting the sixth annual Recreation Job Fair and Skills Workshop on Feb. 1 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center, located at 203 E. 14th St.

The workshop will feature scenarios and skits demonstrating good and bad interview and employee behavior, a presentation about how to secure a position and a customer service video.

One hundred participants will also participate in a mock interview with recreation supervisors and will receive feedback on their performance. A sign-up sheet for the mock interviews will be available at the beginning of the workshop.

Recreation programs currently hiring teens and young adults for summer positions will be on display at booths set up at the theater.

Though the Recreation Job Fair has been held for the past six years, City of Davis community services coordinator Sandra Montgomery said the workshop element was added this year to make the event more educational for those who are not hired.

“With the economy the way it is, each year we have more [employees] coming back [for summer positions] and less space for new staff,” Montgomery said. “We want to show you how you can increase your chances of standing out, even if you don’t get the job.”

Montgomery encouraged those interested in employment to apply early, as many positions only accept the first 50 applicants. Download applications on the City of Davis website, cityofdavis.org/jobs/parttime.cfm, and submit them to the Community Services Department at 600 A St. Suite C, or by fax to (530) 758-0204, Attn: Community Services Department.