News-in-brief: Work It! Week begins today

Health, Education and Promotion (HEP)’s first physical activity campaign, called “Work It!” Week, begins today and lasts until Friday. Held in honor of Physical Activity Month, which runs through the month of May, Work It! Week encourages students to get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day. For a complete list of events, visit shcs.ucdavis.edu/workit.

Monday

“Work it!” Week Kick Off
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
MU Patio/Quad
Kick off “Work it!” Week with 10 minutes of fun activities and earn a T-shirt, pick up a free flying disc and get a workout band, too.

“10+10+10” How to Fit It In Workshop
12:15 to 1 p.m.
Group Exercise Studio at the ARC
Learn how to get the most out of your 30 minute workout. Personal trainers will teach you effective 10 minute workouts involving cardio and weights that you can split up and add into your life three times a day.

Wednesday

Jeopardy: Physical Activity Edition!
Noon to 1 p.m.
MU Patio
How many calories do you burn taking the stairs versus the elevator? Think you know the answer? Test your knowledge for a chance to win some sweet swag. Sponsored by the Exercise Biology Club.

Eat Well Live Healthy Series
Noon to 1:30 p.m.
Student Health and Wellness Center, Third Floor, Conference Room 2
“Let’s Get Moving!” This motivational presentation will help get you started on your physical activity plan. Learn about body composition, fuels for activity and what activity is right for you. Sponsored by Student Health & Counseling Services.

Thursday

“10+10+10” How to Fit It In Workshop
1:15 to 2 p.m.
Group Exercise Studio at the ARC
If strength training is not your thing, then come learn how to fit three 10-minute dance sessions into your day. A group exercise instructor will teach you fun Zumba moves, so that you can dance anywhere!

Friday

Gardening Activity Day
9 a.m. to noon
Segundo Resident Garden, Harvest Garden at the Student Health and Wellness Center and Salad Bowl Garden at the Plant and Environmental Sciences building.
Come spend some time getting active in one of the beautiful campus gardens planting and learning about gardening techniques.

— Erin Migdol