Campus Judicial Report

Don’t assume

A second-year student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) by the UC Davis police for stealing a bike. In a meeting with a judicial officer, the student claimed that he thought the bike was abandoned because it was missing registration tags and a bike seat. He acknowledged, however, that he should not have assumed that the bike was abandoned and agreed to Deferred Separation as a sanction. This means that if he is again referred to SJA for any kind of theft or misappropriation, he has the right to an informal hearing with a judicial officer but has given up his right to a formal hearing.

A life without internet
A senior was referred to SJA by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for downloading copyrighted material. In a meeting with a judicial officer, the student admitted to the violation. Because it was his second violation for computer misconduct, he agreed to termination of his UC Davis internet privileges and to be put on disciplinary probation. Probation means that the student will likely be suspended or dismissed if he is found in violation again, but he retains his right to a formal hearing if he disputes the charges.

Don’t drink and drive
A female student was stopped by the police for speeding on Russell Boulevard, whereupon the police noticed that she appeared to be intoxicated. After failing a sobriety test at the scene, the student was transported to the hospital and given a blood test. This led to the student being charged with a DUI. In addition, the student was referred to SJA, which has off-campus jurisdiction in student conduct matters that concern health and safety. The student accepted the sanction of Disciplinary Probation and agreed to one or more meetings with Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Intervention Services.