Letter to the Editor: It’s time

“Our actions will not prevent every senseless act of violence in this country. In fact, no laws, no initiatives, no administrative acts will perfectly solve all of the challenges … But we were never sent here to be perfect. We were sent here to make what difference we can — to secure this nation, expand opportunity, uphold our ideals through the hard, often frustrating, but absolutely necessary work of self-government.”
— President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2013

As private citizens who have served as elected representatives of the Davis community, we speak with one voice, “It’s time to take action to reduce gun violence.”

The lessons of Newtown, Aurora, Tucson, Stockton, Nevada City and Columbine are stark. American policy, or lack thereof, makes it far too easy for guns to be misused or fall into the wrong hands.

The violence continues. Nearly 100,000 people are shot in the United States each year. According to recent statistics on Slate.com, 27 people die from gunshot wounds daily. That’s the equivalent of a Newtown massacre each and every day.

Americans are ready for change. In January 2013, 88.8 percent of the overall population supported background checks for all firearm transfers. Even more telling, 84.3 percent of firearm owners and 73.7 percent of National Rifle Association members expressed the same support (source: www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vprp).

Recognizing the tide is turning, leaders in the United States Congress and the California Legislature are working on legislation to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines, to require reporting of sales of large quantities of ammunition, and to limit the scope of concealed weapons laws. Mental health services must also be improved. These efforts require our active and vocal support.

The votes will be tough, but the face and the future of our country will change only through concerted, concentrated effort.

Now is the time.

Signed,

Sheila Allen, president, Davis School Board
Davis Campbell, former trustee, Yolo County Board of Education
Gina Daleiden, vice president/clerk, Davis School Board
Lucas Frerichs, member, Davis City Council
Richard Harris, former trustee, Davis School Board
Brett Lee, member, Davis City Council
Joe Krovoza, mayor, Davis City Council
Susan Lovenburg, trustee, Davis School Board
Bill Owens, trustee, Yolo County Board of Education
Jim Provenza, supervisor, Yolo County
Don Saylor, supervisor, Yolo County
Stephen Souza, former member, Davis City Council
Tim Taylor, trustee, Davis School Board
Helen Thomson, former supervisor, Yolo County
Dan Wolk, mayor pro tem, Davis City Council