Arts Week

POETRY/OPEN MIC

Joe Wenderoth and Oliver Jones
Today, 8 p.m., free
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
The Poetry Night Reading Series this week will feature poets Joe Wenderoth and Oliver Jones. Wenderoth teaches English and Creative Writing at UC Davis. He has been featured in multiple anthologies, and a novel of his was adapted and performed by the One Yellow Rabbit theatre company in 2003. Jones is a prizewinning poet, as well as a journalist. He is one of Emerson College’s Visiting Professors of Journalism, and has worked as both a staff and freelance writer for various magazines. The Open Mic portion of the event will begin at 9 p.m., with sign-ups starting before the event.

Sunday Afternoon Howl! Open Mic
Sunday, 4 to 6 p.m., free
Little Prague Bohemian Restaurant, 330 G St.
As a celebration of a traditional pub, Little Prague is hosting a multimedia Open Mic Sunday afternoon. The call is for poetry, prose, impromptu bar songs and acoustic jam sessions. Art materials will also be provided to paint or craft while listening to performances. This event is for all ages and open to the public.

BOOK READINGS/AUTHOR EVENTS

Words in World Literature
Friday, 7:30 p.m., free
The Avid Reader, 617 Seventh St.
Mark Corwin will be reading from and speaking about his book, Words in World Literature, which explores the power of languages in translation.

Parnucklian for Chocolate
Saturday, 7:30 p.m., free
The Avid Reader, 617 Seventh St.
This author event features BH James on his debut novel, Parnucklian for Chocolate, a coming-of-age novel about the fantastical ways in which a young boy deals with familial betrayal.

MUSIC

World Music Dance Party
Saturday, 9 to 11 p.m., $10
N. St. Cooperative Housing, 716 N. St.
Dance the night away to the sounds of soul, reggae and hip-hop at the N. St. Cooperative Housing’s World Music Dance Party. Artists from as far as South America and as close as the Bay Area will be coming to perform their music.

FILM

Banff Mountain Film Festival
Tuesday, 7 to 9 p.m., $14
Richard Brunelle Performance Hall, Davis Senior High School, 315 W. 14th St.
The world tour of the Banff Mountain Film Festival is coming to Davis. Hosted by the Rocknasium as one of 600 stops in the tour, there will be two nights featuring multiple films. Tickets can be purchased at (530) 757-2902.

Argo
Tuesday, 7:30 to 9 p.m., free
Rock Hall
UC Davis’ Entertainment Council brings you Argo at the Peter A. Rock Hall. The 2012 film was directed by Ben Affleck and is about the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis.

ART/GALLERY

Engendered: A Feminist Art Show
Friday, 5 to 8 p.m., free
Delta of Venus, 122 B St.
The opening reception for this year’s Feminist Art Show will be held this Friday at Delta of Venus, featuring works from numerous female artists. The event is sponsored by the 2013 Davis Feminist Film Festival, happening on April 11 and 12. Tickets for that event may be bought at the art show, as well as tickets for the $5 Feminist Dance Party Fundraiser, to be held after the art show at 8 p.m. Admission to the latter is free with purchase of a film festival ticket.

Before I Graduate, I Want to _______
Today, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., free
Memorial Union Patio
An 8-by-12-foot chalkboard will be erected in the patio area of the Memorial Union for students to fill in the blank of “Before I Graduate, I want to ___________.” An interactive art project, chalk will be available for any and all to write whatever they wish on the board. The project, organized by an undergraduate at UC Davis, is inspired and modeled after artist Candy Chang’s “Before I Die” project.

Artists for Peace and Understanding Reception
Saturday, 7 to 10 p.m., free
John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St.
A live jazz and art exhibition will mark the reception for the Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens Exhibit: Artists for Peace and Common Understanding between the Peoples of the Middle East and the United States. The displayed works present featured Middle Eastern artists and themes. There is also a small exhibit for art made by those touched by Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens. The exhibit, which runs until April 20, is in honor of his life; all proceeds at the end of the exhibition will go to the J. Christopher Stevens Fund.

Food Co-op Craft Circle
Sunday, 4 to 6 p.m., free
Food Co-op Conference Room, 620 G. St.
Bring any and all crafts to the conference room of the Davis Food Co-op to work on and work out any problems with your craft projects. Bring your friends and bags of yarn for a casual, fun time crafting. The craft circle happens on the first and third Sunday of every month.

DANCE

Solo Explorations
Friday, 8 to 10 p.m., free
Wright Hall
Masters graduates of Fine Arts Acting will be presenting their individual pieces in an exhibition titled HOT COUNTRY. The four candidates each express their unique identities in their pieces.

THEATER/MONDAVI

Band of the Golden West
Today, Noon to 1 p.m., free
Yocha Dehe Grand Lobby, Mondavi Center
The Shinkoskey Noon Concert will exhibit chamber ensembles from the Band of the Golden West. The event will be completely free and take place in the lobby of the Mondavi Center.

Bobby McFerrin
Friday, 8 p.m., student tickets $17.50 and up
Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
Father of beloved songs such as “He’s got the Whole World in his Hands,” Bobby McFerrin will be singing his folk-rock blues, sampling from both old works and his new album. An audience-interactive performance, McFerrin is known for altering song with speech and snippets of comedy.

— Tanya Azari