Letter from the editor

Welcome to the new, weekly version of The California Aggie. Take off your sweater and stay a while — this isn’t the quick, six-page read you’ve grown accustomed to this year.

All your favorite sections — the highly opinionated Opinion page, MUSE for all the latest arts and entertainment news, the Science & Technology page showcasing the latest in university research as well as Backstop and other sports coverage — are still running, just all in one convenient package.

Far better, the news you see in print will dig deeper and provide more context, accompanied by infographics and photospreads. Meanwhile, on our revamped website, TheAggie.org, briefer news items will be added every day to make sure you’re always in the loop.

Speaking of revamped website, have you seen it yet? Creative Media did a marvelous job, working closely with us to create a cleaner, multimedia-ready home. One thing to note is the Breaking News stream at the top, which will carry all our quick news stories. Also, on the right-hand side, you can still find a PDF of our print version, as well as easy-to-access polls to share your opinions with us and fellow readers.

And speaking of sharing your opinions, I’m pleased to announce that The Aggie will be holding public meetings every week. Join us this Friday at 3:10 p.m. in 25 Lower Freeborn while we discuss our Thursday issue. Ask questions, pitch stories or pick up an application to write for us. Granted, if no one comes after 15 minutes and we’re done discussing among ourselves, we’ll probably migrate outdoors to enjoy our Friday.

We’re still in a transitional state, though, so definitely look at next week’s paper in case our weekly meeting time changes. That’s silly to say though. Obviously you will be picking up next week’s paper!

In this first issue, be sure to meet four of our eight columnists this quarter — you’ll meet the other four next week — and check out pages 10 and 11 for some California Aggie history.