ASUCD Senate passes resolution against Islamophobia

ASUCD Senate passed Senate Resolution 21 (SR 21) during the April 25 senate meeting. After approximately five hours of discussion, the resolution condemning “Islamophobic Hate Speech” at UC Davis, passed with a 7-4-1 vote.

SR 21, authored by Kriti Garg, was first presented to Senate April 11. It condemns the rhetoric that was expressed during an April 11 Ayn Rand Society at UC Davis event, titled “Islamists Rising in the Middle East: Where Next for America,” featuring guest speakers Daniel Pipes, Elan Journo and Larry Greenfield.

The resolution urges UC President Mark Yudof to condemn the language of UC Santa Cruz lecturer Tammi Rossman-Benjamin for “inciting racist and Islamophobic rhetoric.”

During discussion of the resolution, members of the public were given time to speak, during which time Jonathan Bomberg, president of the Ayn Rand Society at UC Davis gave, what he declared to be their only official statement, stating that the event was not targeted toward Muslims.

The president of the Muslim Student Association at UC Davis, Usamah Simjee, also spoke during the meeting, urging for the passage of SR 21.

— Liliana Nava Ochoa

1. […] and administrative decisions. The student governments of the UC system have, more recently, been involved in condemning the silence and complacency of the UC administration in addressing racis…. Additionally, many of these student governments have been involved in passing resolutions in […]