News in Brief: Police investigating alleged hate crime on campus

The UC Davis Police Department (UCDPD) is conducting an investigation concerning an alleged hate crime that took place on May 12 and occurred on campus near Putah Creek Drive.

According to the police report, the victim was walking on Levee Road when a burgundy Jeep SUV slowed alongside the victim. The suspects allegedly exited the vehicle and began shouting “sexual-orientation bias slurs” and repeatedly assaulting the victim. The suspects then returned to the vehicle and drove down Brooks Road.

According to UC Davis Police Chief Matthew Carmichael, neither the suspects nor the victim is affiliated with the University.

Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi, along with Davis Mayor Joe Krovoza, sent a campus community email May 17, addressing the crime.

“While such behavior is inconsistent with our values, so, too, is silence or indifference in the face of such a crime,” the email stated. “Working together, we will do everything in our power to see that the perpetrators are identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Carmichael said that the police department has received some information regarding the assault, following the email.

“We are fortunate that we do not see it too often. However, one crime is too many,” he said in an email interview.

He said that if convicted, the suspects may be imprisoned in the Yolo County Jail not exceeding one year, or imprisoned in state prison for two to four years.

“If convicted of a hate crime as well as the battery, an enhancement of one to four additional years could be added to the sentence,” Carmichael said.

The Davis Police Department said they are not involved in the investigation, as the alleged assault occurred on campus. However, Carmichael said that the UCDPD often works closely with the Davis Police Department in crimes of this nature.

The police report stated that both suspects were white male adults in their late teens to early 20s, about 5’10”, 150 pounds, medium build, with light complexions, brown eyes and short straight brown hair.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact the UCDPD at (530) 752-1230.

– Muna Sadek