Sunday, April 14, 2024

Aggies pick up rare series win against Cal State Northridge

After a span in which the Aggies lost 11 of 14 games and fell into the cellar of the Big West Conference, the team responded with a rare series victory over the Cal State Northridge Matadors from May 2 to May 4.

The Aggies (19-25, 5-13 Big West) moved up one spot in the Big West standings, from ninth (last place) to eighth.

On May 2, the Aggies opened up the series with a 13-6 loss to the Matadors (5-10, 17-30). UC Davis put together 13 hits — eight of them doubles — but its pitching was not strong enough to pull out the win. Five Aggies recorded two hits, and junior right fielder John Williams — one of the five with two hits — led the way with two RBI. Senior right-hander Harry Stanwyck (2-6) didn’t have his best stuff on the mound, giving up 10 hits and nine earned runs in just four innings.

The Aggies finally pulled out a win on May 3, as their bats came alive to the tune of an 11-0 drubbing. Senior third baseman Adam Young led the Aggies with two hits and three RBI, and the 11 runs matched a season-high. Junior right hander Spencer Koopmans (4-1) was dominant on the hill, allowing just four hits over six scoreless frames, and he threw only 66 pitches in the process. He was followed by junior right-hander Raul Jacobson, who preserved the shutout with three dominant innings. He struck out two and allowed just two baserunners.

In the rubber game on May 4, the Aggies narrowly escaped with a 3-2 win, securing their first series victory since April 13 and their first two-game winning streak since April 3 and April 4. Young and sophomore first baseman Spencer Henderson provided the late-inning heroics for UC Davis, as Henderson’s RBI single with two outs in the ninth brought the tying run — junior centerfielder Kevin Barker — to the plate. Young put the Aggies up in the tenth with a two-run double. Senior right-hander Evan Wolf was phenomenal, allowing six hits and a run in eight-and-two-thirds innings of work. He walked two and struck out five.

The Aggies fell 6-5 to Nevada on May 6, and they travel to Spokane, Wash. next to face Gonzaga (18-24, 13-8 WCC) from May 9 to May 11.

SCOTT DRESSER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.