28th annual Turkey Trot race takes place in Davis

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Thanksgiving 5K, 10K, half marathon race through Davis

The 28th annual Davis Turkey Trot race took place on Nov. 21, the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The event consisted of a 5K, 10K and half marathon race, all starting at the intersection of 6th Street and C Street.

A few thousand participants ran in the races, many of whom were Davis residents. Carlos Monsivais, a first-year statistics major, expressed interest in running in the Turkey Trot.

“Unfortunately, I had a pulled hamstring, but it is nice to see the community wanting to get out and run,” Monsivais said.  

This year’s event showcased new courses for each of the three races. Changes were implemented by the Davis Police Department with consideration to residents, as well as impacts on city traffic, detours and road closures.

The 5K, half marathon and half marathon relay started together at 8 a.m. at the corner of 6th Street and C Street. Athletes headed east toward the Davis Co-op, reminiscent of past Turkey Trot routes.

However, instead of continuing down H Street and under the Covell Bridge by the train tracks, they took a left-hand turn, bringing athletes back to F Street and directing them north toward Covell Boulevard. Athletes then turned west on Covell, eventually splitting into separate 5K and half marathon courses. Water stops were set up along the course for all races. Both courses eventually let racers back 6th and C Street where the race began.  

The winner of the 5K race was Nathan Kwan, a third-year biochemistry and molecular biology major.

I knew I just wanted to have fun. I am part of a cross country club at UC Davis, so I met up with some members,” Kwan said. “Just before the race, everything cleared out of my mind except the race. The atmosphere is always great.”

Written by: RAHIL SHETH – city@theaggie.org