Deals around Davis

It’s an undeniable truth: Attending college will likely make you smarter, yet it will just as likely drain your bank account. The perks of college life are aplenty, but soon enough, the toll of paying for rent, tuition, books, gas, food and other necessities begins to add up.

While the cost of attending a university can’t be changed, here are a few ways to have a night out in Davis without putting a strain on your wallet.

Dinnertime

For anyone who doesn’t want to cook or desperately wants a change from the UC Davis dining commons, there are several places around town that can provide a tasty alternative. Here are a few examples of what Davis has to offer.

On Mondays, Little Prague, located at 330 G St., serves half-price appetizers during happy hour. The happy hour food prices are in effect from 4 to 5:30 p.m.

From 3 p.m. till midnight, the Del Taco at 1649 Research Park Drive allows customers to purchase three tacos for $1.09 on Tuesdays.

If you’re in the mood for pasta on Wednesdays, Strings Italian Café, located in The Marketplace, offers all you can eat pasta after 4 p.m. for $7.99.

On Thursday nights, why not try going to the Taqueria Davis at 505 L St. from 8 to 9 p.m. for $1 Taco Thursdays?

And on Fridays, stop by Wok of Flame, located in the El Macero Shopping Center, with your student ID to get 10 percent off your order.

Take note that most eateries around Davis offer some sort of discount but require a coupon. In addition, if you bring your student ID card, you’ll have a much better chance at saving money.

Just remember to ask about these two words: student discount.

Movies

Both Regal Cinemas Davis Stadium 5 and Regal Cinemas Davis Holiday 6 have specially discounted tickets on Tuesdays, which offer customers the chance of seeing a movie for only $4.25. However, not all movies qualify for this discount.

“These prices are for [movies] that have been playing after the two-week period, unless some studios make us wait longer,” said Robbie Arrington, marketing manager for Regal Entertainment Group. “It was a program that began before we purchased the theaters … and because it’s very well supported, we decided to keep it instead of going with our corporate policy.”

If you have a certain film you’d like to watch at Varsity Theatre, all Tuesday shows are $7, which is usually only its matinee price.

Feel like staying in to watch a movie? Best of Davis winner 49er Video gives students the chance to rent any new releases for only $1.99 with a student ID.

“We’re doing this as a thank you to the students for voting us Best of Davis video store for [the] second year in a row” said 49er Video owner John Merchant.

While this offer only lasts until the end of spring quarter, 49er Video has another promotional discount called “Midnight Madness,” which has been running for years. For Midnight Madness, you can rent any movie in the store for $1.99 on Fridays and Saturdays from midnight to 1 a.m.

And something a little extra

In the mood for dessert? Baskin-Robbins Dollar Scoop night is a crowd favorite – so much so that there can sometimes be lines outside the ice cream shop. On Tuesday nights, the public can partake in some cold, sweet ice cream for $1 a scoop.

Or maybe stop by Ben & Jerry’s for one of its weekly specials. On Monday, “Let’s Pretend it’s Friday” lets you buy one ice cream and get a second for half price. Tuesday’s “Let Them Eat Cake” special means you can buy any stock cake for $3 off, while Friday’s “Disco Inferno” gives you any menu item for 10 percent off.

For the 21 and over crowd, a lot of places around town offer “happy hour.” If it isn’t advertised, ask someone at your favorite watering hole what day and time they have happy hour scheduled. Usually, happy hour can last for more than just one hour, depending on the restaurant or bar.

In regard to forms of entertainment outside of UC Davis, there are a variety of cheap options.

Sherry Puntillo, chief executive officer of the Davis Chamber of Commerce, suggests that students should “take advantage of community events, such as [Farmers Market’s] Picnic in the Park, and other events.”

Of course, it shouldn’t take too much to have a good time with your friends.

“Davis is a little more college-student friendly than other places because the town and university are so heavily intertwined,” said Sharon Zimmerman, manager of Delta of Venus. “Now that it’s great weather, you can just go outside and enjoy the sun.”

“There’s a lot to do.… There’s the Davis People’s Free School, Critical Mass on the last Friday of every month … and there are also events that go on all the time at the Delta for free, or for a small cover charge. Nevertheless, I think students should have some balance. You should play hard and work hard.”

APPLE LOVELESS can be reached at features@californiaaggie.com.