Filipino Association for Health Careers promotes biennial health conference

Thinking about a career in the health field? You might want to check out the Filipino Association for Health Career (FAHC) Health Conference on Apr. 5. The all-day event begins at 8 a.m. at the UC Davis Medical Center’s medical school, located at 4610 X St. in Sacramento.

Aside from having workshops and panels showcasing several different careers in the health professions, the intent of the conference is to be informative for attendees as well to be an avenue for networking.

The workshops will consist of many different health professionals, including representatives from medical schools, massage therapy fields, Kaplan, student-run clinics and medical missions, said Stephen Chan, FAHC representative, in an e-mail interview.

Through these workshops and panels, we expect the students to obtain information that will allow them to get even closer to achieving their future dreams, he said.

Chan said the biennial conference will not only offer networking opportunities but also a wealth of information about current concerns and problems in the medical world.

The student will be more aware of issues in health that occur locally and around the world, he said.

Denise Veloria, secretary for the FAHC, said the conference is open to anybody.

The aim is for college and high school students, but we’re publicizing to all the pre-health organizations, to classes where there might be interested people, Veloria said.

Because the event is being held at UC Davis this year, there will be opportunities to meet not only health professionals, but also representatives from the other branches of education that UCD offers.

You’ll get to talk with all the professionals who come, Veloria said. There are advisers from not only the med school but from the other professional schools that UCD has.

One of the professionals attending the conference is Kristine Mangalindan, 2006 graduate of UC Davis, former president of FAHC and current MCAT prep course instructor. She said participating in the conference is extremely worthwhile.

My experiences with [the] health conference have been both rewarding and informative, Mangalindan said. I learned more about my options in the health field and found inspiration from both participants and professionals at the event.

The event is free, but registration is required to attend.

Registration, food and drinks and transportation are all free, Chan said. Because the event is in Sacramento, we understand that many undergrads at UC Davis may need a ride. Therefore, we will have a shuttle.

The FAHC is a student-run club that promotes health awareness and provides resources through events such as the conference to parties interested in working toward a health career. Meetings are held every other Tuesday, and the FAHC welcomes anyone interested to attend. Information on events and meetings are available at beam.to/fahc.

Attendance at the conference is limited, and people can register online at beam.to/fahc.

JACQUELYN FLATT can be reached at science@ucdavis.edu.