Senior co-captains strike again

If once is good, twice is better.

For the second straight game, the UC Davis women’s lacrosse team (2-4) rode incredible performances from senior co-captain midfielders Katie McMahon and Katie McGovern to victory.

After posting 11 goals and four assists in a 14-13 win over Holy Cross, the Katies combined for 10 goals and four assists in UC Davis’ 16-14 victory over Quinnipiac (2-1) on Monday.

Our two Katies played really well again, said head coach Elaine Jones.

There was not much else to say as McGovern and McMahon dominated the opposing defense for the second week in a row, but not just individually.

With 16:53 left in the first half, McMahon assisted a McGovern goal that was the result of a series of flawlessly executed picks and screens.

We complement each other and feed off one another, McMahon said.

With the goal, UC Davis led 5-3 and seemed to be running away with the game when two more quick goals created a 7-3 scoring edge.

But after traveling all the way from Connecticut, Quinnipiac would not give up without a fight.

Four different Bobcats found the back of the net in a six-minute period as Quinnipiac evened the score, for the moment at least.

The Aggies countered as McMahon took only five minutes to score the next three goals of the game in a period stretching into the second half.

The Bobcats clawed back yet again when a 6-2 scoring run gave Quinnipiac its first lead since the 26:14 mark of the first half.

However, just as she had done against Holy Cross a week prior, McGovern spearheaded a late Aggie scoring run. She contributed two goals and an assist in a 4-1 streak over the final 8:08 of play.

I was proud of the way our team played, McMahon said. We fought to the end, and that is pretty important.

Freshman midfielder Christina Corsa had key contributions, with four goals and three ground balls.

Fellow freshman midfielders Jacklyn Taylor and Laura Martin each added a score of their own as the Aggies set a new season-high in goals.

I was really impressed by the number of goals scored today and the scoring runs we had, Jones said.

Senior goalie Hilary Harkins built off her 12-save performance against Holy Cross, stopping 13 of 27 shots on goal.

She performed well, Jones said. She had a couple of great individual saves for the second week in a row.

The Aggies will continue their six-game homestand when Temple visits Aggie Stadium on Thursday at 3 p.m..

MAX ROSENBLUM can be reached at sports@californiaaggie.com.