Women’s tennis preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Santa Clara

Records: Aggies, 8-6; Broncos, 2-8

Where: Degheri Tennis Center – Santa Clara, Calif.

When: Today at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: After posting two 13-win seasons at Purdue, Randi Shuler’s winning ways have seamlessly carried over to UC Davis in her first year with the program.

The junior No. 1 is second on the team with eight dual wins and is coming off a 6-3, 6-1 singles victory over UC Riverside’s Erynne Oki.

Did you know? In its most recent play, Santa Clara defeated rival San Jose State on Mar. 4, 6-1. It was just the second time all season the Broncos had scored more than two points in a match.

Preview: Momentum has been tough to come by this season for the Broncos.

But after defeating their rival on the road, the Broncos open a three-match homestand today against the Aggies, believing they can turn around their season.

We definitely have a chance to win all three of our next matches, said head coach Ben Cabell. We may not be favored, but if our girls play the way they can, we can win.

Unfortunately for Santa Clara, UC Davis has done nothing but win lately against non-conference opponents.

The Aggies have been victorious in six of their last seven non-conference matches, with the only loss coming to then-No. 9 California on Feb. 16.

In the two teams’ last meeting on Feb. 13, 2007, UC Davis soundly defeated Santa Clara, 5-2.

For the season, the Broncos are 25-51 this season in singles play and 10-20 in doubles while the Aggies are 45-39 and 19-20, respectively.

UC Davis, which most recently defeated Big West Conference rival UC Riverside on Mar. 8, 5-2, will be inactive following today’s match until Apr. 3 when it hosts Portland State.