Jason Mraz pre-sale tickets offered

Jason Mraz is coming to campus, and pre-sale tickets are being sold today starting at 10 a.m.

Mraz is currently on tour promoting his latest May release, “We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things,” and will perform at Freeborn Hall on Nov. 3. Vocalist Lisa Hannigan, known for her work with Damien Rice, will open for Mraz.

The event is sponsored by the Entertainment Council and promoted by Another Planet Entertainment.

As advertised, only 100 of the 200 pre-sale tickets will be sold today at $20 each. For students who miss today’s opportunity to purchase pre-sale tickets, the remainder will be sold at the discounted price on the first day of school.

Moreover, students are permitted to buy one extra ticket for another UC Davis student, provided they have both student IDs.

Regular ticket sales will begin Saturday, at $35 each.

The decision to split the pre-sale was aimed at giving students an early shot at the discounted tickets while providing incoming first-years and students not enrolled in courses over the summer an equal chance to buy tickets later in the fall.

“It’s the summer, so there’s really not too many people here,” said Thongxy Phansopha, director of the EC. “Then again, the students that are here are pretty psyched about getting pre-sale tickets that are $15 off.”

Publicity for the pre-sale has so far been relatively minimal, relying on word of mouth and the EC’s Facebook group. Nonetheless, Phansopha anticipates a large and early showing for the pre-sale.

“I think the tickets will sell pretty fast within the day, just because [there are] only 100 tickets,” Phansopha said. “If [there are] 50 students buying two tickets each, then it’s done.”

“I’m planning on getting to the pre-sale around 6 a.m.,” said Ashlee Mitchell, a sophomore human development and psychology major. “Crazy, I know.”

Despite the limited number of discounted tickets, Mraz is sure to draw a large crowd in November.

“He has a really smooth voice and his melodies are comforting,” Mitchell said. “I’m a big fan of acoustic music, and his stuff is a great mix between alternative and acoustic. Also, his lyrics are creative and unique.”

“I’m so excited for him to come to UCD,” said incoming first-year and biological sciences major Camille Martinez in an e-mail interview. “I’m stoked that in my first year at Davis, Jason Mraz will be playing. This is epic stuff.”

Both pre-sales are only available for UC Davis students, so be sure to bring your ID. All sales are cash only. For more information, go to the Freeborn ticket office, tickets.com, or visit the Facebook event page.

JUSTIN T. HO can be reached at arts@californiaaggie.com.