News in Brief

Sexual assaults reported downtown

Two separate sexual assaults were reported in Downtown Davis early Thursday morning.

The first victim was speaking with a friend in a parking lot on the 300 block of G Street when the suspect allegedly approached her from behind, reached under her skirt and sexually assaulted her, said Davis police Lieutenant Tom Waltz in a press release.

The victim’s acquaintance confronted the suspect and he fled. The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 a.m.

Shortly afterward, a second victim was walking to her car on G Street when the same suspect allegedly approached the victim from behind, reached under her skirt and sexually assaulted her. The suspect fled on foot when the victim confronted him.

Both victims described the suspect as a Chicano male adult between 5-foot-3 and 5-foot-5 tall. The suspect, approximately 25 years old, was wearing a dark colored jacket with blue jeans and had black hair.

Davis police believe the suspect is targeting young women wearing skirts who are attending bars and restaurants downtown, Waltz said. Police advise everyone who is out at night in Davis to walk with a friend, be aware of surroundings and report any suspicious activity.

Anyone with information regarding these crimes is asked to contact the Davis Police Department at 747-5430.

Police seek bank robbery suspect

Davis police are seeking information on a suspect who robbed US Bank in downtown Davis Thursday morning.

The male suspect entered the bank at 304 F St. and handed an employee a note requesting money at 11:24 a.m., according to a Davis Police Department press release.

The suspect informed the teller that he had a weapon, but the employee did not see a weapon. The suspect exited the bank with an undisclosed amount of money, said Lt. Waltz.

Witnesses describe the suspect as a white male adult, 39 to 49 years old, with a medium build and a scruffy beard. The suspect, between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-9 inches tall, was wearing a plain red baseball cap with black sunglasses and a gray sweatshirt, Waltz said.

The Davis Police Department is working with the FBI and witnesses who were at the scene, Waltz said. Anyone with information on the crime should call the DPD Investigations Division at 747-5430.

Investigators uncover marijuana operation

Solano County Sheriff’s Office investigators uncovered a marijuana trafficking organization after executing search warrants in the cities of Benicia and Vallejo on Thursday night.

A search of a home in Benicia uncovered animpressive indoor marijuana grow encompassing the entire residence,said spokesperson Paula J. Toynbee in a press release.

Law enforcement officers counted a total of 563 plants, ranging from small to mature, and the home was equipped with watering, lighting and temperature control systems. The estimated street value of the marijuana discovered is $1.4 million. The homeowner was arrested on site.

Information discovered at the home led to three more search warrants at other homes, where one more suspect was arrested and over $168,000 worth of marijuana was discovered.

Tire amnesty event Saturday

The Yolo County Central Landfill will host a tire amnesty event this Saturday and again at the end of the month. Members of the public are welcome to bring in and dispose of used tires.

Used tires from passenger cars, trucks and farm tractors that are air-filled with no solid areas will be accepted at the Yolo County Central Landfill on 44090 County Road 28H in Woodland. The landfill will be open from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday. Tires with rims will be accepted. Heavy equipment tires will not be accepted.

Anyone hauling more than nine waste tires must obtain a waste tire hauler permit or request an exemption from the Yolo County Environmental Health Department’s Local Enforcement Agency.

A similar event will take place on Mar. 28 at the Esparto Convenience Center on Mar. 28 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

JEREMY OGUL can be reached at city@theaggie.org.