Monday, April 22, 2024

Aggies’ scoring brigade aids hot start

In 17 games last season, the UC Davis women’s soccer team only managed to score a total of 17 goals.

Through only seven games this season, the Aggies have already amassed 20 goals and posted a 4-2-1 record to start the season.

The brilliant offensive play of the Aggies so far has coach MaryClaire Robinson praising their style of play.

“They’ve been playing really aggressively,head coach MaryClaire Robinson.They’ve also been doing a good job finding the net.

In the regular season opener, the Aggies faced off with rival Sacramento State and fought it out to a 1-1 tie. The Aggies came back from a one-goal deficit to tie the score as Marissa Boge netted her first goal of the season.

The tie with their archrival sparked the Aggies, as they would end up winning their next four contests by a combined score of 19-4.

In the first of those matchups, the Aggies took on Marist and managed to pull out a come-from-behind victory.

At halftime, Marist held a 2-1 advantage only to see the lead get done in by a second period filled with yellow cards.

On a free kick, sophomore Aisha Lott dropped a 35-yard shot over the goalie to tie the score in the 46th minute. The Aggies held the pressure and were then able to capitalize on another penalty, as senior Rochelle VanBuskirk scored the third goal and sealed the first regular season win.

During UC Davisnext three games, coming from behind was not on its mind.

The Aggies traveled to play Cal State Bakersfield and walked away with a sound 5-0 victory. The Roadrunners had come in hot after recently defeating the No. 13 San Diego Toreros but were no match for UC Davis as the Aggies out-shot the Roadrunners 14-7.

The shutout was the largest victory in a road game for UC Davis in 14 years.

Boge showcased her first career hat trick in the game, and the first in UC Davis Division I history. The senior was also named Big West Conference Player of the Week for her performance.

The team then traveled to Missoula, Mont. where it had another dominating performance as it routed the Grizzlies 5-1. VanBuskirk finished the day with two goals while Britnee Warmerdam had a goal via the header. Sophomores Lisa Kemp and Anna Quigley also got into the action with one goal apiece.

The Aggies posted their third victory in as many games with a 6-1 win over Eastern Washington. Midfielder Elise Winbrock and defender Katie Webb each celebrated their first goals of the season, helping the Aggies close out the Eagles.

Eastern Washington was no match for veterans VanBuskirk and Boge, who tallied two goals apiece.

VanBuskirk was named Big West Player of the Week, making her the second Aggie in as many weeks to earn the honor.

UC Davis then took on the San Jose Spartans. The Aggies suffered a narrow 1-0 loss in double overtime. Goalie Sara Peters had five saves in over 100 minutes of play.

UC Davis returned home Sunday to host Fresno State and wrap up the summer.

The game concluded in a 1-0 Aggie loss in which Bulldogsgoalie Callie Hancock blocked seven UC Davis shots on goal.

The Aggies have scored 20 goals this season so far. They’re currently ranked second in the Big West, behind only UC Irvine (6-1-1).

With its play thus far, UC Davis has cracked into the NSCAA National Rankings, taking the No. 10 spot for the western region.

The Aggies also boast the Big West’s top scorer in VanBuskirk, who has found enemy net seven times this season.

The women are next in action on Sunday as they will take on Nevada at home with a 12 p.m. scheduled start.

ANDREA GUTIERREZ can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.