Davis gyms offer fitness for every preference, budget

After weeks of feasting on Grandma’s turkey and red and green colored candy, it may be no surprise that many are making “getting more exercise” their New Year’s resolution.

If you’re one of those numerous students who want 2010 to be their most active year ever, you’re in luck. Davis is home to a diverse selection of gyms – besides the Activities and Recreation Center – that can help even the laziest of couch potatoes get a daily dose of exercise.

Davis Athletic Club

The Davis Athletic Club is an East Davis haven for swimmers, weight-lifters and martial artists alike. This 24,000 square foot fitness center has been a Davis institution since 1981 and offers virtually every type of exercise imaginable.

For $49 per month, members have access to the DAC’s weight and cardio rooms, sauna, basketball courts and two pools that are heated year round, said Erica Meiale, a DAC employee. Membership also includes classes such as yoga, boot camp, martial arts and swimming.

The DAC recommends students looking for a practical and effective workout to try their CrossFit class. CrossFit is an exercise program that emphasizes functional training performed at a high intensity and is a great way to work out, said Meiale. The class is an additional $70 per month.

Meiale encourages students to join the DAC for its quieter atmosphere.

“A lot of students complain about how busy the ARC is,” she said. “Kids come in here and like that it is not jam-packed all the time.”

For more information about the DAC, visit daconline.com

Rocknasium

Daredevils looking for a non-traditional workout will feel right at home at Rocknasium, Davis’ own indoor rock climbing gym. Located in South Davis, Rocknasium offers 8,000 square feet of climbing walls, as well as weight and cardio rooms. A student day pass is $10, monthly memberships are $32 and climbing shoes and harness rentals are $6 per day.

No climbing or belaying experience is necessary to visit Rocknasium. Those interested in learning how to belay can attend a belay class for only $10. Or if you prefer to keep your feet closer to the ground, students can try “bouldering”. This popular form of rock climbing doesn’t require a harness or rope and is a great way to get in shape, said Sal Corral, route-setter and self-proclaimed “gym dude” at Rocknasium.

Rocknasium also offers climbing classes for those looking to improve their skills.

“We recommend Intro to Climbing or Intro to Lead, depending on how frisky you are,” said Corral.

Whether you prefer to boulder, climb, or just lift weights, Rocknasium welcomes any visitor.

“The atmosphere is super motivating,” said Corral. “Everyone here is family.”

Visit rocknasium.com for more information.

Activities and Recreation Center

For an on-campus, student-focused and – more importantly – free workout, the ARC still remains an ideal place for students to get fit.

The ARC boasts a wide selection of cardio machines, spread throughout the spacious and sun-filled facility. The weight room, sport courts, indoor track and rock-climbing wall allows students to participate in their favorite activities at no additional charge.

Those looking for a more structured workout can sign up for any of the ARC’s group exercise, dance, or martial arts classes.

“We have a new class this quarter called Brazilian Jiu Jitsu,” said Erica Williams, member services lead at the ARC. “We also had a Muay Thai class last quarter that was really popular so we’re offering that again.”

Students are required to pay a fee for each class. However, ARC employees recommend taking advantage of the quarterly “Try Before You Buy” special. All classes are free from Jan. 2 to 9, allowing students to find their perfect class at no cost, said Williams.

Visit campusrecreation.ucdavis.edu for more information.

Davis Swim and Fitness

South Davis residents looking for a gym closer to home can check out the Davis Swim and Fitness Center. As part of the DSFC’s 35-year anniversary special, memberships are $35 per month for the first 6 months and then increased to $47 per month.

“Membership includes access to the weight room, heated pools, more group classes than any other gym in Davis, and one free personal training session,” said Shane Edmunds, a sales associate at DSFC. “We’re also doing a Biggest Loser competition similar to the show, which starts today.”

DSFC is offering a program called the 28-Day Weight Loss Jumpstart for those who are serious about their weight loss goals. The class meets every Sunday in January and focuses on healthy living habits, said Edmunds. Cost is $75.

“You’re guaranteed to lose 10 pounds, and many people lose 20 or 30,” said Edmunds.

Visit davisswimandfitness.com for more information.

ERIN MIGDOL can be reached at features@theaggie.org.