Best Asian Cuisine

1. Sophia’s Thai Kitchen
129 E St.

2. Hunan Bar & Restaurant
207 D St.

3. Namaste Nepal
825 Russell Blvd.

Of the 37 Asian restaurants in Davis, only one can claim to rule them all. Sophia’s Thai Kitchen has once again bested the competition to be this year’s Best of Davis pick for best Asian cuisine.

As one may guess, the variety of Asian cuisine prepared is faithful to the establishment’s namesake.

“The Thai iced teas are delicious and their peanut sauce is out of this world,” said senior political science major Adessa O’Shana.

And while the food is expectantly exceptional, what separates Sophia’s from the pack is its flexible ambiance. One does not simply walk into Sophia’s and find a table.

“It almost feels like there’s several restaurants within a restaurant,” said senior psychology major Eleni Stephanides. “You have a cushion room, the outside patio and the more traditional indoor dining area.”

Not only does the physical environment offer several categories of experience, Sophia’s is also a favorite for its live independent music and Tuesday trivia nights, serving side dishes for the spirit and mind alongside its food.

Coming in second place for best Asian cuisine is Hunan Bar and Restaurant. At hard-to-beat prices, especially for lunch, Hunan woos its customers with disarming portion sizes writ with variety and flavor. Close to campus, it’s a regular stop for many students.

Rounding out third place is Namaste Nepal, a relatively new restaurant that serves Indian and Nepalese cuisine. Despite its rookie status, Namaste Nepal has already made a name for itself. Its lunch buffets, discount offers and delivery service have earned this spot a devoted following.

— Rajiv Narayan