Best New Restaurant

1. de Vere’s Irish Pub
217 E St.

2. Paesanos
139 G St.

3. Rostini Italian Kitchen
1411 W. Covell Blvd.

Just four months ago, the de Vere White family sought to bring a taste of Ireland to Davis by opening a second location of its popular Sacramento eatery and bar, de Vere’s Irish Pub, downtown. And four months is all it took for Davis residents to embrace the authentic pub, voting it Davis’ best new restaurant.

The restaurant, which boasts furniture and decor flown in from Ireland, features traditional Irish dishes such as shepherd’s pie, black pudding, and bangers and mash, in addition to typical American pub fare. And as expected for any pub, the menu features an extensive selection of beer, wine and whiskey.

Co-owner Henry de Vere White said the community’s response to the pub has been positive, with customers ranging from families to college students to grandmothers.

“We’ve had a great first four months. I think people have been excited to try something new and have been really open-minded,” de Vere White said.

De Vere White said a menu change is planned for March, which will offer new, more varied dishes. The restaurant has also been the site of office parties, rehearsal dinners and other personal functions, as well as Monday Trivia Nights and Tuesday Whiskey Society meetings.

In honor of St. Baldrick’s Foundation, which funds childhood cancer research, de Vere’s will host St. Baldrick’s Day Battle of the Pubs on March 12. After competing to raise the most money for St. Baldrick’s, each “team” from the Davis and Sacramento de Vere’s locations will shave their heads in solidarity with children battling cancer.

De Vere White said he hopes to do more community events in the future.

“Our goal is in 10 years for people to come back to their old pub, have a discussion in the library, see their old professors. We want to become entrenched as a social gathering place,” de Vere White said. “Every aspect of life should come through these doors.”

— Erin Migdol