Yudof named one of the most influential forces in higher education

In The Huffington Post’s “12s of ’12” series, University of California President Mark Yudof was named one of this past year’s most influential forces in higher education.

Yudof was among a diverse range of forces in education highlighted this year. Included were law student Sandra Fluke for her outspoken beliefs about birth control, student activists for their ability to influence real change in their environments and others who helped shape the face and climate of higher education this year.

The Huffington Post even put pop music on the list, citing singers like Carly Rae Jepsen, Gotye and PSY for sparking a sensation of parody videos across college campuses.

Yudof was recognized for presiding over the UC system as it held onto its reputation for excellence despite facing a myriad of obstacles this year.

“Despite enormous challenges from state funding cuts, rising tuition, criticism over the mishandling of student protests, multiple University of California campuses remain world-class public research universities rivaling Ivy League schools in top rankings,” stated The Huffington Post. “[Yudof] presided over that and saw voters reward the schools by electing to raise taxes to fund them through Prop 30 — a ballot initiative.”

Steve Montiel, media relations director at the University of California Office of the President, agreed with The Huffington Post.

“Clearly he has faced a host of challenges since he became president of the University of California, but he has guided the universities through difficult times without sacrificing quality,” Montiel said.

Yudof has also been involved with the Working Smarter Initiative, which includes a combined effort of campuses and leaders to reach a level of administrative excellence equal to that of the UC’s academic and research facets.

“It’s the campuses who ultimately ensure quality, but Yudof has been a strong leader during difficult times,” Montiel said.

-LAUREN MASCARENHAS