T.J. Maxx opens in Davis

On Oct. 20, T.J. Maxx opened its doors to the public from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., with the first 1,000 customers receiving free reusable bags. The store is located on 4621 Second St. in the Target shopping center.

T.J. Maxx is one of the nation’s largest off-price retail stores with more than 1,000 stores currently operating in 49 states and Puerto Rico. A retail store guarantees the sale of products to the public in relatively small quantities with lowered prices.

The grand opening on Oct. 20 featured many customers and new fall clothes. The store had a single line queue for faster checkouts.

Some UC Davis students went to the grand opening and enjoyed shopping at the new store.

“I really liked T.J. Maxx, it was spacious and it had a variety of goods that any college student would buy,” said Jiwon Kim, a second-year managerial economics major who went to the grand opening. “Along with the stores that currently exist, T.J. Maxx has the advantage to cater to students who are always looking for bargains when they shop.”

T.J. Maxx offers items that come from top designers and brands that arrive every week from all over the world. According to a press release, customers will maximize their budgets by shopping for the same, on-trend, in-season, first quality merchandise they would find in department and specialty stores, but for much less.

“We are pleased to expand our store base,” said Richard Sherr, president of T.J. Maxx in the press release. “Delivering value and an exciting selection of fashion to serve the needs of customers.”

Davis is not known for having many shopping centers or clothing stores, but T.J. Maxx used this to their advantage.

“In general, when we open new stores, we look for areas with the right mix of characteristics,” said Brittany Welch, T.J. Maxx real estate spokesperson, in an email. “[These include] families with children, home ownership, thriving retail areas and areas where shoppers are fashion-conscious, yet value-conscious.”

Welch believes that the Davis branch will be an important asset to the community. “We’re thrilled to be a part of the Davis community, and are happy to provide local residents with a new way to shop,” Welch said. “As an off-price retailer, we carry great quality and on-trend pieces from the most desirable brands at unbelievable prices.”

UC Davis students are happy to have a new place to shop because the new store offers them more clothing choices.

“I’m really glad it opened since we only have Forever 21 and Target when it comes to shopping for clothes,” said Alison Kang, a third-year exercise biology major. “Usually we have to drive over to Vacaville or Sacramento when we want to go clothes shopping.”

Many students agree that having a new store is more convenient for them because their shopping areas are limited.

“Although this is a college town, there aren’t a lot of easily accessible places for students to shop for clothing,” said Jenny Kim, a third-year psychology major. “It’s inconvenient especially for students who don’t have cars, but now that T.J. Maxx has opened, more students can shop with just a bus ride.”

The style and quality of the materials sold suit the students’ tastes as well.

“The clothes at T.J. Maxx are nice because they’re better quality for an affordable price,” Kang said.

According to their press release, T.J. Maxx buyers work with more than 16,000 brands and designers around the world to score the most coveted pieces at prices that will “wow” shoppers.

“They offer a wide variety of brands and items, and sell them at reasonable prices,” Kim said.

In addition to providing a new shopping option for Davis residents, T.J.Maxx will also add approximately 60 full and part-time jobs to the area.

The store hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays.