Tuesday, May 7, 2024

UC Davis softball splits in midweek matchup

After falling in their first two games versus Cal State Fullerton in a doubleheader on May 3, the UC Davis softball team answered back and defeated the always solid Titans in a 9-6 victory on May 4.

Hoping to use that momentum, the Aggies took on Saint Mary’s in a midweek doubleheader matchup on May 7. Coming into the games, the Gaels sat at 15-27 overall as the Aggies held an 18-31 record on the year.

The first game in the non-conference match went in UC Davis‘ favor, as they took down Saint Mary’s, 3-2. Several players stood out in that first game on the day.

Establishing herself as one of the top hurlers for the Aggies, freshman standout Dana Cruse went six innings giving up only two hits and two earned runs. She recorded four walks and four strikeouts, leading the Aggies to the victory. Sophomore Leah Munden then came into the game to close it out, giving up no hits and no walks, throwing a clean inning, facing a mere three batters. This marked a league-high third save for Munden this 2014 season.

Offensively, the Aggies were slow out of the gates in game one as the game went scoreless until the second half of the fifth inning. But back-to-back doubles from freshman Brianna Warner and junior Amy Nunez in the fifth finally woke up the team’s bats. Singles from sophomore Christina Guidry and sophomore Kelly Zboralske also contributed to the team’s three runs scored in the fifth. The Gaels could not answer back, as UC Davis cruised to their first win of the day.

Unfortunately, game two did not go in the Aggies’ favor, as the Gaels took the win, 2-1. In a close match, Saint Mary’s came out on top, scoring two runs to Davis’ one. Munden started the game, throwing two and two thirds innings, giving up four hits and two earned runs and ultimately taking the loss.

However, on a more positive note, freshman Andrea Reynolds came in relief of Munden, and threw four and one thirds innings, giving up only one hit and no earned runs with one base on balls.

Overall the two games were close and well-played and the Aggies should be satisfied with their midweek split. Next up for UC Davis is Hawai’i.

The Aggies will face the Rainbow Warriors at La Rue Field in Davis, Calif. on May 9 and May 10. These games mark the final conference games for the team, and the last regular season games for the Aggies as well. A sweep this weekend will be essential if the team looks to finish their season on a high note.

SLOAN BOETTCHER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.

Photo by Bijan Agahi.