Wednesday, March 27, 2024

This Week In Sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Recap of UC Davis sports from Nov. 2 to 8

Cross Country

Doc Adams Open  

The women’s cross country team had a rewarding finish, with seven Aggies finishing in the top 20 in the individual six-kilometer race. Freshman Katherine Gallaher led the Aggies with a fifth place finish, and was followed by freshman Natalie Cooper in 11th place. Men’s cross country was able to finish with three Aggies in the top 30 with junior Luke Dorman finishing in 11th place in the individual eight-kilometer.

UC Davis travels to compete at the 2015 NCAA West Regionals hosted by the University of Washington in Seattle on Nov. 13.

Football (1-8)

UC Davis at Weber State (L, 23-3)

Senior Brady Stuart kicked a career-long 52-yard field goal for one of the few highlights in the 23-3 loss to Weber State on Saturday afternoon. UC Davis held Weber State to 165 yards and a field goal in the final half.

UC Davis returns to Aggie Stadium on Nov. 14 as they play Cal Poly in the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe.

Men’s Soccer (8-9-3)

Big West Conference Tournament (W, 2-1)

The Aggies advance to the Big West Tournament semi-finals after redshirt senior forward Matt Weisenfarth’s goal in overtime for the 2-1 win over the CSU Northridge Matadors.

UC Davis heads to top-seeded UC Santa Barbara on Nov. 11 for the semi-finals.

Men’s Water Polo (17-7)

UC Davis at Loyola Marymount (W, 14-10)

The Aggies won over Loyola Marymount 14-10 and improved to 6-0 in the conference. UC Davis secured a first round bye and top seed for the WWPA Championship.

The U.S. Air Force Academy hosts the WWPA Championship from Nov. 20 to 22.

Women’s Basketball

UC Davis vs. Humboldt State (W, 77-64)

The Aggies won an exhibition over visiting Humboldt State at the Pavilion on Nov. 7. Sophomore guard Rachel Nagel finished with a team-high 15 points and added six rebounds for the Aggies.

UC Davis officially opens their season on Nov. 13 when they host Stanford.

Field Hockey (8-12)

UC Davis at Albany (L, 7-1)

Junior forward Kayla Wigney scored two minutes and 35 seconds into the second half for the Aggies. Despite this, UC Davis was unable to cut Albany’s four-goal lead at the America East Field Hockey quarterfinal playoff match on Thursday.

UC Davis ends its season with an overall record of  8-12.

Swimming and Diving (2-2)

UC Davis at Utah (L, 171-125)

UC Davis at BYU (W, 168-132)

Senior diver Lucy Lafranchise brought home a win on the three-meter board for the Aggies despite losing to the Utes 171-125. Freshman swimmer Solie Laughlin won the 100 back with a season-best time of 57.69.

UC Davis won 11 of the 16 events against BYU to claim the win. Junior Hilvy Cheung won three events while freshman Solie Laughlin took home a pair of wins to help raise the Aggies to the win.

The swimmers travel to Houston, Texas, to compete at the Phill Hansel Invitational hosted by the University of Houston on Nov. 19 to 21. The divers will compete at the Wildcat Diving Invitational hosted by the University of Arizona in Tucson, Ariz., from Nov. 20 to 22.

Women’s Volleyball (13-14)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (W, 3-0)

UC Davis at Cal Poly (W, 3-2)

UC Davis swept UC Santa Barbara with scores of 25-19, 25-18 and 25-14 in a Big West Conference game. Senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres had 13 kills and 14 digs while junior setter Sophia Mar posted 32 assists and five aces.

The Aggies were able to upset Cal Poly in five sets with scores of 14-25, 25-19, 17-25, 25-21 and 15-13 in a Big West Conference game, improving their record to 8-5 in league matches. Freshman outside hitter Emily Allen and freshman libero Malia Bolko combined for 46 of the Aggies’ 90 digs to help grab the win.

Written by: LINDSAY YIM – sports@theaggie.org