The Cannery hosts first annual Can Run

ANH-TRAM BUI / AGGIE
ANH-TRAM BUI / AGGIE

Community will get an inside look of life at The Cannery during 5K, 10K run

The Cannery, a new housing community in Davis, will inaugurate the first annual Can Run on April 23 and all proceeds will go to public schools in Davis.

The Can Run will feature a 5K and 10K run in addition to a half-mile Kids Fun Run.

The 5K and 10K races will begin at 8 a.m., and the Kids Fun Run will begin at 10 a.m., with all races scheduled to finish by 11 a.m.

The race will start at The Cannery, located at 1550 Cannery Ave., and runners will travel through the North Davis neighborhoods, around the Community Park, North Davis Elementary and Davis Senior High School and along The Cannery Loop Trail, where they will arrive at the finish line. The 10K run includes an additional course that features the greenbelts and neighborhood streets of Northstar.

The run will benefit the Davis Schools Foundation (DSF), a non-profit organization dedicated to educational excellence for every student in the Davis Joint Unified School District (DJUSD). Through fundraising, DSF is able to support DJUSD’s schools and programs for the benefit of its students.

“Each year, our board works with DJUSD staff and the community to decide key areas where we can best impact the most students. Over the past three years, those areas have been technology, elementary school aides and secondary counseling services,” said DSF President Lori Duisenberg in an email.

DSF granted $100,000 to DJUSD’s core areas for students during the 2014-15 academic year and has been awarding funds for schools since 2004.

“Davis Schools Foundation is operated by a small, all-volunteer board so we rely on community members to help with events such as the Can Run,” Duisenberg said.

The Can Run is sponsored by local businesses in Davis. Fleet Feet, a running and cross-training store located in Downtown Davis, will be providing race bibs and prizes for the races.  

“We try to support as many running events as we can. We like the fact that the race will benefit Davis Schools Foundation which is an organization we like to support when we can,” said J.D. Denton, the co-owner of Fleet Feet.

The Cannery is the first farm-to-table community in California and will feature a 7.4-acre working farm, providing residents with fresh produce throughout the year.

The community includes apartments, townhomes, condos and single family homes and each home includes a solar panel system, making The Cannery an energy efficient community.

The Center for Land-Based Learning, a nonprofit organization located in Winters that educates youth about conservation and agriculture, will utilize the working farm and barn at The Cannery.

“All of the produce from farms out here will go farm to fork into any restaurants that go over there as well as the farmers market. And each homeowner will have the option of having a subscribed box of the produce delivered to their home each week,” said Amy Swanson, Cannery Ambassador.

Swanson explains that residents who live at The Cannery can enjoy an amphitheater, basketball court and dog park located within the community. At The Ranch House, members of the Homeowners Association also have access to a pool, spa and gourmet kitchen where they can host events.

Currently, the Farm House at The Cannery serves as the welcoming center but once the community is completed, it will become the property of the City of Davis. On the day of the run, participants can get a glimpse of life at The Cannery and can stop by the welcome center.
Written By: CARLA ARANGOcity@theaggie.org