Monday, June 10, 2024

Met Gala 2024: ‘Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion’

With the theme “The Garden of Time,” many celebrities missed the mark

By AALIYAH ESPAÑOL-RIVAS — arts@theaggie.org 

On May 6, 2024, the Metropolitan Museum of Art hosted their annual Met Gala, organized by Vogue Editor-In-Chief, Anna Wintour. 

The Met Gala, otherwise known as the Costume Institute Benefit, hosts one of the most prestigious events in society, with only a small number of attendees invited each year. The gala, meant to highlight the Metropolitan Museum’s newest fashion exhibit, calls for attendees to dress to impress, incorporating the theme chosen by Wintour herself.

This year’s exhibit, “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion,” sought to highlight rare pieces in the museum’s collection and incorporate Earth’s natural scenic beauties. As per the exhibit, the dress code for guests was “The Garden of Time,” which many interpreted literally, and for some, not at all. 

One of the most creative looks of the night came from Zendaya, coming off of the buzz from her most recent film, “Challengers.” Zendaya, who wore two outfits both by designer John Galliano, absolutely embodied the theme. 

On the other hand, her two co-stars, Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor, went for a more traditional look, experimenting with far less color than Zendaya did. Faist, who wore a simple black tux, merely incorporated the theme with a radish brooch while O’Connor wore a tux with extended tails and floral boots. 

Other noteworthy breathtaking looks came from Ariana Grande, who wore a mother-of-pearl bodice dress from Loewe, Tyla, with a dress made from actual sand by Balmain and Bad Bunny, dressed in a custom-made Maison Margiela suit. 

“Saltburn” star Barry Keoghan wore a suit that embodied Brendon Urie during the “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out” era of Panic at the Disco. Other forgettable looks include Gigi Hadid, Jack Harlow and Kendall Jenner. 

Other than looks, the night also included a surprise performance from Grande, who sang both past hits and new songs from her latest album, “Eternal Sunshine.” Whimsical and fairy-like, Grande shocked everyone when videos of her performance were posted on social media, given the strict rule against photos and videos once inside the gala.

Additionally, many Met Gala regulars such as Blake Lively, Rihanna and Timothee Chalamet were nowhere to be seen this year. Overall, many stars left something to be desired in regards to their outfits. While there were many looks that garnered a double-take, most simply fell short. As someone who sits in her dorm watching the Met Gala in her pajamas, all I can hope for is for better looks next year, and men who aren’t afraid to defy traditional gender norms — because sticking a flower on your black tux is not enough. 

Written by: Aaliyah Español-Rivas — arts@theaggie.org