Thursday, September 26, 2024

G Street Project updates

Construction on the G Street activation project set to start soon

By ALMA CULVERWELL city@theaggie.org 

The city of Davis recently announced that construction on the highly anticipated G Street Project will begin in the coming weeks. The G Street Project, also referred to as the G Street Activation, was made with the goal of providing a vibrant hub of activity that offers benefits to everyone in Davis. This includes businesses, residents, families and students, as described by the city in an announcement on their website. 

“The project is a community investment in the vitality of downtown Davis,” the city’s statement stated. “We hope the updated space on G Street will enhance the community and provide socializing opportunities, cultural enrichment and economic growth.” 

The G Street activation project was originally launched by the city of Davis in June 2020 in response to COVID-19, aiming to support local businesses and safely bring the community together. With construction nearing, city officials addressed several common misconceptions surrounding the project. 

Contrary to some rumors, outdoor dining and alcohol sales will still be permitted on G Street after construction concludes. These activities will continue in compliance with current State Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) rules, the city’s Municipal Code and other relevant regulations. Businesses on this block of G Street will need to enter into license agreements with the city to continue these services.

The new G Street area will include city-provided outdoor seating that will be available for public use. The city has ordered a variety of seating options, including moveable seating blocks, round cafe tables and bar-height seating with tabletop space. This furniture will be installed to ensure the space is ready for community use as soon as construction is complete.

Businesses interested in using specific areas of the newly developed space exclusively will be able to do so under a license agreement with the city. These businesses will be able to implement their own furnishings, such as tables, chairs, umbrellas, supplemental lights and heaters, provided they meet the city’s guidelines, which are currently being drafted.

Jenny Tan, director of community engagement for the city of Davis, explained the collaborative process between the city and local businesses that ensures the plan runs smoothly.

“The city has created an interest form for businesses that want to license a space,” Tan said. “We are continuing to work with businesses in person, by email and in meetings on this process and their needs. When businesses do well, so does the city. Our objective is a civic space that is a vibrant hub of activity offering attractions, amenities and benefits to everyone who lives in or visits Davis, including businesses, residents, families and students.”

The city is also planning to install string lights along the edge of the platform to enhance the area’s ambiance. Furthermore, the city will assess existing street lighting to ensure its functionality and will coordinate with the city’s Urban Forestry division to address any street views that may be obscured by tree branches.

Officials emphasized that the inner 20 feet of G Street between the bollards will remain an emergency vehicle access corridor and must be kept clear at all times. No furnishings will be permitted in this area to ensure the safety and accessibility for emergency personnel.

As the G Street Project moves forward, the city of Davis remains committed to engaging with local businesses and seeking additional funding sources to enhance the space further in the future. 

Construction is anticipated to wrap up around December 2024 to be followed by amenity installations and opening soon after. For more detailed information and answers to frequently asked questions, community members are encouraged to visit the G Street Project web page.

Written by: Alma Culverwell city@theaggie.org