Best Asian cuisine

1. Hunan Bar and Restaurant, 508 Second St., #104

2. Sophia’s, 129 E St.

3. Thai 2K, 223 G St.

What makes Hunan Bar and Restaurant the best Asian cuisine in Davis?

“The high quality of the food is really it,said manager Sau Ly.A lot of other restaurants don’t have the quality of meat we have here.

The downtown restaurant has been in Davis for 20 years, and is a family run business. Ly’s two sisters, Connie and Pamela Ly have been owners for over a decade.

It is often referred to as Americanese, meaning it is considered an “AmericanizedChinese restaurant. The restaurant also features a full bar.

A large menu with a variety of chicken, rice, pork, tofu, soup, vegetables, chow mein, beef and seafood options attract college students and Davis residents alike. Vegetarians and those carnivores out there will all feel welcomed.

“People come back because they really like the food,Ly said.The variety of foods we offer also attracts a lot of people because you have so many options here.

Competitive prices such as $5 deals also keep customers coming back again for tastes of dishes like fried calamari or wonton.

Plan ahead if going at night, as it is a much more formal environment than during the day.

Two Thai restaurants followed Hunan in the best Asian cuisine category. Second place winner Sophia’s (Davisfirst Thai restaurant) features free refills on its Thai Iced Tea, and third place winner Thai 2k also features refills of their iced tea, along with black pearls.

Hunan is opened from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for lunch Monday through Saturday. Dinner runs from 3 to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 3 to 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon to 9:30 p.m. on Sundays.

Angela Swartz