Women’s Athlete of the Quarter: Ashley Marshall

As the Big West Women’s Track Athlete of the Year in 2013, junior Ashley Marshall had big expectations for continued success in the 2014 season, and she certainly did not disappoint. Her skilled performances out on the track have earned her the title of Women’s Athlete of the Quarter this spring.

“Ashley brings a familiarity with national-level competition with her to the line when she races,” said head coach Drew Wartenburg.

Marshall’s sprinting prowess earned her a second straight appearance in the NCAA Division I Track and Field Final for the 100-meter dash on May 30. During the NCAA West Region Preliminary Meet, Marshall also competed in the 200-meter dash, finishing 20th in the semifinal round. Unfortunately this was not enough to take her to Eugene, Ore. for the 200-meter final.

However, she will still be representing the Aggies at the finals in Oregon from June 11 to June 14, racing in the 100-meter dash for her second consecutive season.

Expectations are high for the young sprinter come the finals in Eugene, Ore. However, Marshall is still young and has time to contribute, as she is only a junior. Coach Wartenburg and the rest of the UC Davis track and field squad can look forward to another excellent season from Marshall when spring 2015 rolls back around.

SLOAN BOETTCHER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.