Women’s Athlete of the Year: Ashley Marshall

After a year of ups and more ups, senior sprinter Ashley Marshall has officially crossed the finish line of her athletic collegiate career. Big West’s Track Athlete of the Year, recipient of the Dr. Hubert Heitman Award and ninth place national time holder for the 100-meter dash, Marshall graduates UC Davis with many awards

Known for her short distance specialties, Marshall is renowned for shattering all-time school records in both the 100 and 200-meter events. Her time of 11.22 in the 100-meter dash, set at the Mt. SAC Relays in April, was the ninth fastest time in the country. In the same meet, Marshall topped with a time of 23.18 in the 200-meter for a 24th best in Division 1 this season.

Marshall showcased raw talent during May’s Big West Championship Tournament, where she took first place in both the 100 and 200-meter races with times of 11.52 and 23.35.  Marshall earned Big West’s Track Athlete of the Year for the third time after earning the same title in 2013 and 2014, a feat never accomplished by the same athlete for three consecutive years. Additionally, Marshall’s contribution to the 4×100 relay tipped off the Aggies for Big West’s fastest time this season.

On May 31, UC Davis recognized Marshall as UC Davis’ top female student athlete of the 2014-2015 year. She accepted the Dr. Hubert Heitman Award at the annual recognition luncheon held at the ARC ballroom along with senior basketball sensation, Corey Hawkins and senior soccer player, Brian Ford.

Though falling short of the top at the NCAA National Competition on May 30 in Austin, Texas (Marshall took 19th place in the 200-meter dash), Marshall remains confident she can turn her college career into an international feat. For this sociology major from Moreno Valley, representing the United States or the Barbados in professional track competition is a dream worth fighting for.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.