Pablo Reguerín appointed as new vice chancellor of Student Affairs

Reguerín plans to focus on listening to students while highlighting social, educational inequities

Pablo Guillermo Reguerín was selected as the new vice chancellor of Student Affairs, effective on July 20. Reguerín is currently the associate vice chancellor of Student Achievement & Equity Innovation at UC Santa Cruz. 

His appointment was announced in a press release from UC Davis News on Wednesday. He will take over from Emily Galindo, who has been interim vice chancellor since March of 2018.

Chancellor Gary May said the UC Davis community was eager to welcome Reguerín given his long-standing commitment to supporting student success and his history working with Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs). UC Davis was projected to receive HSI designation by the end of 2019, 11 years after it set its goal to become an HSI.  

“As we begin a new decade of challenges and opportunities, Pablo’s commitment to equity and inclusion will have a very positive impact on our students and their needs,” Chancellor Gary May said in the release.

Reguerín is also a principal investigator on three U.S. Department of Education HSI Title III and Title V grants, managing a wide breadth of funds within the UC system. 

He graduated from UC Santa Cruz with a bachelor’s degree in Latino and Latin American studies and from Columbia University with a master’s degree in educational leadership. He earned his doctorate of education from UC Davis School of Education in 2017, with his dissertation titled “Graduating Students of Color: An Analysis of Public Four-Year HSI and Non-HSI in California.” 

Reguerín said he is excited to join the UC Davis team and that he plans to partner with, listen to and learn from students through campus.

“More than ever, we need to work together to overcome the pandemic and the impacts which are felt across all communities and highlighting social and educational inequities,” he said via email. “We need internal and external resources/ideas to improve outcomes across communities and I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and serving the student and campus community.”

Written by: Janelle Marie Salanga campus@theaggie.org