Upcoming Events in October

Museum exhibits, concerts and more to kick off the school year in style 

By CLARA FISCHER — arts@theaggie.org

Fall Season Celebration (Manetti Shrem Museum, 4:30 – 7 p.m. on September 25) 

Join the Manetti Shrem as they celebrate their new season with a night of live music, discussions, artistic activities and more. Along with “Young, Gifted and Black: The Lumpkin-Boccuzzi Family Collection of Temporary Art,” which is already on display, the Shrem will gain two more stand-alone exhibits for visitors to enjoy — “Loie Hollowell: Tick Tock Belly Clock” and “Roy De Forest: Habitats for Travelers / Selections from the Manetti Shrem Museum.” Find out more here, and be sure to check out the festivities! 

International Festival (Davis Central Park, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. on October 2)

“Cultural Awareness, Global Appreciation, and Belonging for All.” That’s the slogan of the 2022 International Festival, hosted by our very own International House. Featuring a variety of cultural events, performances and music, the festival is the perfect way to kick off the new school year and celebrate the diversity of our community. Details about the performance line-up as well as more about the logistics of the event can be found here

San Francisco Symphony (Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, 7:30 p.m. on October 6)

San Francisco’s world-renowned symphony orchestra is coming to cowtown! Enjoy a selection of classical pieces, including Stravinsky’s “The Firebird,” as the Mondavi Center celebrates the orchestra’s first performance in Davis in two decades. Tickets can be purchased at this link.

Salon Series: How Art Became My Life with Kurt Fishback (The Barn Gallery, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on October 20)

YoloArts is hosting the Salon Series, events at which members of the community can connect with artists of Yolo County in a more intimate setting. This installation of the series features Kurt Fishback, a California artist and juror of the 15th annual Art Farm Exhibition. He will be giving a talk on his over sixty years of experience in the field, including his beginnings under mentorship from the likes of Ansel Adams and more. Register for the free event at this link.

The Macabre: A Harpsichord Halloween (Ann E. Pitzer Center, 12:05 – 1 p.m. on October 27)

Rounding out the spookiest month of the year, Dr. Faythe Vollrath, UC Davis lecturer in music and harpsichord player, is putting on a chilling celebration of the season. She will be performing a variety of pieces that encapsulate the Halloween spirit and are sure to send a chill down your spine. Free to everyone, Halloween lovers of all ages are sure to enjoy the recital. 

Written by: Clara Fischer — arts@theaggie.org