Best Student Resource Center: The Internship and Career Center

The ICC helps undergraduate and graduate students search for internships and jobs that are right for them

By JADE BELL — features@theaggie.org

Voted this year’s Best Student Resource Center by 29.1% of surveyed students is the Internship and Career Center (ICC). Don’t be fooled by the close race though  — the ICC has plenty to offer. The center provides helpful starting points for students’ job and internship searches via workshops, career fairs, resume and cover letter review services and more.

Third-year English and history double major Ally Tolman is a student assistant at the ICC, and talked about one of their most-used services.

“I think one of the most popular things we see people ask for help on are cover letters,” Tolman said. “I even asked for help from people on my team about my cover letter. I think the appointments are 15 to 30 minutes; it’s really quick, but they’re very thorough.”

In addition to these advising appointments, the ICC offers other career support services. One of these is their workshop series “Hacking the Hidden Job Market,” which tackles how to find jobs that are not widely advertised, as well as their “Interview Basics” workshop.

“I didn’t even know until I started working for the [ICC] in August that they offered assistance solely for finding jobs,” Tolman said. “I don’t think most people know that they offer that aside just from resumes and cover letters — that’s definitely underutilized by students.”

Students also can be misinformed about their ideas of application time periods, according to Tolman.

“I think a lot of students think it’s too late for them to apply to things or struggle with the application time period,” Tolman said. “I think a lot of students worry when it’s spring quarter that it’s too late to apply for summer internships. But I think what I’ve learned at the ICC is that […] it’s never too late to apply for anything.”

The ICC is open Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Undergraduate students can attend drop-in peer advising or schedule an appointment with a career advisor to “explore career options, practice interviews, conduct in-depth job and internship search, and review application materials,” according to their website. You can also sign into Handshake to explore their upcoming workshops or peruse their online calendar of events

Written by: Jade Bell — features@theaggie.org