Sunday, May 5, 2024

The UC Davis women’s soccer team had a complicated start to their season with two wins and a loss, but players are keeping their heads high for future games

Another Aggie record has been broken by top-scoring fourth-year Leslie Fregoso

By MEGAN JOSEPH — sports@theaggie.org

The UC Davis women’s soccer team has experienced some ups and downs through the beginning of the 2023 soccer season, garnering two wins and a loss in the last few weeks. 

Starting the season off strong, the Aggies shut out the Idaho State Bengals with a five-to-zero win that proved their Division 1 (D1) status. 

The players showed their incredible talent with five players each scoring a goal. The first was made by fourth-year Leslie Fregoso. She scored off of a penalty kick in the 20th minute of the game, leaving fans and viewers enthusiastically celebrating the first goal of the season.

The second and third goals were made by none other than third-year Sam Tristan. Her first goal in the 26th minute was an incredible rebound shot into the bottom left of the goal that showed Tristan’s domination on the field. Later in the 49th minute of the game, Tristan scored another goal off a penalty kick that gave the Aggies a comfortable lead over the Bengals for the second half of the game.

The third and fourth goals were scored by third-years Risa Yamada and Devyn Simmons in the 57th and 82nd minutes of the game respectively. They were assisted in each of their goals by third-year Emma Vane and first-year Savannah Cordero. This ended the first game of the season, with the Aggies securing a significant win over Idaho State.

Following the win, the Aggies shut out yet another team when they played the Sacramento State Hornets on Aug. 20. This away game proved to be a spectacular win.

The first goal of the game was a beautiful left-footer by Vane that crossed the box and went straight into the top right corner of the net in the 32nd minute of the match. The next goal, assisted by Fregoso and third-year Kylie Garcia, was volleyed by Simmons into the net after a collision and deflection by the opposing team in the box in the 43rd minute. The third and final goal of the match was a perfect through ball by second-year Sarah Canavan that Tristan fired into the back of the net.

The Aggies walked away victorious after a spectacular match, with one player in particular coming away with a new record. The second goal of the game solidified Fregoso as the new UC Davis career points leader during the D1 era. 

Fregoso, a highly-awarded player — already selected twice for All-Big West First Team and the holder of an NSCAA All-Region Second Team Honor — can now add this accomplishment to her resume. The previous record of 47 assists, set in 2009 by Rochelle VanBuskirk, is now replaced by Fregoso’s 48 assists. With plenty of games still left in the season, we can expect many more assists from Fregoso and possibly another broken record.

Even with such a strong start to the season, the Aggies felt their first loss on Aug. 24 against the Saint Mary’s College Gaels. The game started off with neither team scoring the entire first half, but luck changed for the Gaels in the 56th minute when they scored off a through-ball setup. 

Although the Aggies had 11 shots on goal, they were unable to connect and the Gaels walked away supreme. There is no doubt that the Aggies will have another chance to redeem themselves with an upcoming game against the University of San Francisco.

Overall, the Aggies have demonstrated their eagerness to win and dominate the field, leaving fans excited to see what they have in store for the remainder of the season.

Written by: Megan Joseph — sports@theaggie.org