Saturday, May 4, 2024

Best dumpling: Dumpling House

UC Davis students vote Dumpling House as favorite spot to satisfy a craving for dumplings

By ALMA CULVERWELL features@theaggie.org

Davis’ Dumpling House, located in downtown Davis at 129 E Street, was voted the best dumpling after receiving 60.5% of students’ votes. 

Dumpling House, which has been a Davis staple for over 20 years, is known for its variety of dumpling options, such pork and chive, shrimp and pork. They also carry several options that cater to patrons’ various dietary restrictions, including vegetarian options like veggie or kimchi-filled dumplings. 

Originally known as London Fish N Chips, Dumpling House also carries several options from their original menu, including their signature fish and chips and calamari. 

Grace Hsu, a second-year managerial economics major, described why she loves frequenting Dumpling House and the personal connection she feels to the restaurant. 

“I love eating Dumpling House’s food because it’s always so comforting to the soul,” Hsu said. “It reminds me of my mom’s cooking and it tastes authentic.” 

Dumpling House is well-regarded by many community members for its welcoming and supportive atmosphere. Nina Moreno, a second-year cognitive science major, stated her thoughts about the restaurant’s atmosphere. 

“Dumpling House is like a place of comfort for me,” Moreno said. “I really like dumplings in the cold weather or when you are having a bad day.”

Linda Liu, the owner of Dumpling House, learned how to make dumplings from her grandmother. She got her inspiration for founding the Davis location after traveling around Asia and noticing the widespread popularity of dumplings. 

Liu developed her dumpling business to cater to the college audience by making her food affordable and accessible. Liu explained her favorite part about working her job. 

“I feel like people, [including] all the workers, are so friendly,” Liu said. “Also, the customers are so friendly, too.” 

Liu explained that her hope for the future is to increase business.

Dumpling House underwent a brief remodel after a fire in 2019 but has been reopened since March 2022. They also currently operate a stall at the weekly Saturday farmers market at Central Park, a Sacramento location and often make appearances at other Davis events. 

Written by: Alma Culverwell features@theaggie.org