Thursday, May 2, 2024

Best trivia night: Sophia’s Thai

The popular Davis bar and restaurant was once again voted the Best of Davis

By MADELEINE YOUNG features@theaggie.org 

Sophia’s Thai Kitchen, a vibrant restaurant and bar located in the heart of downtown, has returned to the Best of Davis list for best trivia night with a 56.3% vote. 

Launched in 2005, Sophia’s Thai was the first bar in Davis to host a trivia night. This 21+ event happens every Tuesday night at 9:30 p.m. at the kitchen’s adjacent bar and requires an order of at least one drink as your buy-in. 

At night, you can find a mix of college students, families and locals looking for a bite, ordering their county-famous mojito, or participating in trivia night. With gift cards, six-packs or bottles up as prizes, Sophia’s is a great place to grab a drink and bring out your competitive side. 

Third-year managerial economics major Trimanpreet Kaur can be occasionally spotted competing with a handful of her friends on a Tuesday night. 

“It’s a really fun way to spend a night out with friends since the more people on your team, the more likely you are to win,” Kaur said. 

Kevin Wan, owner of Sophia’s, makes the questions himself. They range from geography, history, pop culture and more. Wan also will occasionally give bonus prizes for things like “most incorrect answer” or “funniest answer.” 

“It can get competitive but you meet so many new people and get to spend time with friends, especially when you want a breather from school,” Kaur said. 

Written by: Madeleine Young features@theaggie.org

Best Pub or Bar: Sophia’s Thai 

On top of this, Sophia’s Thai Kitchen follows it’s last year’s place as best pub or bar with 42.9% of votes this year.

The business was founded almost 30 years ago and according to the owner, they were the first Thai restaurant in Davis.

It is common to see a live DJ or even karaoke on this bar’s outdoor deck. The bar didn’t open until 2001 and has made a great companion piece to Sophia’s trivia nights.

“I usually get a ‘Thaibreaker’ as my drink [while I] play,” Kaur said describing their drink of choice during trivia night.