This Week in Sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from Jan. 25 to Jan. 31

Men’s Basketball (9-11 overall, 4-3 conf.)

UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton (W, 69-64)

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (W, 66-52)

In the first of two home games, the Aggies defeated the Cal State Fullerton Titans 69-64 on Wednesday, Jan. 27. With 12 points for the night and three three-pointers from junior guard Brynton Lemar in the last seven minutes of the game, a victory was secured. Senior forward Josh Fox added 19 points, freshman guard Siler Schneider had 15 and junior guard Darius Graham helped the Aggies secure a 10 point lead during the crucial second half of the game.

Read a full recap of the game by sports reporter Michael Martinez here.

Coming off of their victory, the Ags continued their winning streak and now hold a 4-3 record in the Big West Conference. Junior center Neal Monson made 20 points for the game and Fox had a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds. A great effort was made by Brynton Lemar, who grabbed 15 points. The Aggies never let the Mustangs close the margin and played great defense throughout the game, finishing it out 14 points over Cal Poly.

Check out the recap by sports reporter Veronica Vargo here.

UC Davis will take on the Titans again at Cal State Fullerton on Thursday, Feb. 4.

Women’s Basketball (12-8 overall, 5-2 conf.)

UC Davis vs Long Beach State (L, 75-62)

UC Davis vs UC Santa Barbara (W, 80-51)

The Aggies played a hard game against Long Beach State, where senior forward Celia Marfone scored 18 points, setting a personal season high. Senior forward Alyson Doherty finished with 12 rebounds and redshirt freshman Morgan Bertsch ended with 6 rebounds and 14 points. Pele Gianotti, a sophomore forward, scored 10 of her own, but the Ags fell short as Long Beach State made 58 percent of their shots, resulting in a final score of 75-62.

Sports reporter George McConnell covered the game.

Making 59 percent of their shots throughout the game, the UC Davis women’s basketball team now stands at a 12-8 overall and 5-2 in the Big West Conference after taking down the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 80-51. Gianotti collected 18 points, three assists and five rebounds. The Aggies wavered a bit during the second half of the game, but managed to keep a 16 point gap.  Marfone finished with 17 points, not letting the Gauchos get the upper hand at any point throughout the game.

Peruse a recap of the game against UC Santa Barbara, which was covered by Aaron Sellers.

With their strong performance, the Aggies will continue on to UC Riverside to challenge the Highlanders on Feb. 4.

Women’s Gymnastics

UC Davis at Sacramento State (2nd, 193.100)

The Aggies placed second in their meet at Sacramento State, as senior Stephanie Stamates earned her career high of 9.875 on the beam and junior Katy Nogaki tied her personal best of 9.850 in the same event. While the bar rotations presented a challenge for the Aggies, the overall score of 48.875 on the vault resulted in a season high, and they earned a 48.975 on the floor and 48.800 on the beam.

Men’s Tennis (4-3)

UC Davis vs. Pacific (W, 4-2)

UC Davis at Northern Colorado (W, 6-1)

UC Davis at Abilene Christian  (L, 4-3)

UC Davis at Air Force (W, 5-2)

The Aggies, ranked No. 53 in the nation, defeated the Pacific Tigers 4-2 in a singles match up at home on Jan. 27. Junior Eli Whittle earned the No. 6 singles spot, while juniors Bryce McKelvie and Jesse Ross were at No. 4 and 5, respectively. Senior Brett Bacharach came in at No. 3, and each individual effort secured the victory.

The Aggies secured a three match winning streak against Northern Colorado two days later.  Junior James Wade defeated his opponent 6-3, 6-1, while junior Alec Adamson, senior Adam Levie, sophomore Tommy Lam and McKelvie all garnered 6-3 victories.

Though they fell to Abilene Christian 4-3 on Jan. 30, the Aggies put forth a good performance, as  Adamson and Levie won their doubles match, as did the pairing of Bacharach and McKelvie. Wade and Whittle fell during the third set of the match, and McKelvie triumphed in his singles match for the fourth consecutive time.

To finish off their slew of back to back matches, UC Davis beat Air Force 5-2 to bring their overall record up to 4-3, winning five of the six singles match-ups for the day.

The UC Davis men’s tennis team returns home with the first of four home games that begin on Tuesday, Feb. 2 at 2 p.m. and end on Sunday, Feb. 7.

Women’s Tennis (2-1)

UC Davis vs. Portland State (W, 4-2)

UC Davis vs. Santa Clara University (L, 6-1)

The spring opener scheduled for Friday, Jan. 29 was pushed back to Saturday due to bad weather, but the Aggies weren’t phased and brought in a 4-2 win. Junior Alex Huie and senior Tiffany Pham were able to secure a doubles victory after going 6-2 against their opponents, while the Aggies won four of the six singles matches for the day.

The following day, the UC Davis tennis team lost to Santa Clara University and the only Aggies to come away with victories were Pham, who beat her opponent 6-2, 6-0, and juniors Kamila Kecki and Frederique Sleiffer, winning their doubles match 6-4.

The women’s tennis team will travel to face San Diego State on Feb. 6.

Swimming and Diving

UC Davis at Pacific (W, 136-114)

With the fastest time in the 100 fly at 54.91, junior Hilvy Cheung also won the 200-yard medley relay with teammates senior Hailey Ferko, freshman Mia Facey and junior Kirsten Brand (1:44.83). In the 200-meter Freestyle, sophomore Robin Lampron won with a time of 1:53.43, and Brand (1:53.91), Facey (1:55.00) and sophomore Courtney Schultz (1:55.07) came in close behind. Freshman Eva Chung touched first in the 200-yard Butterfly with 2:08.10, and was followed by redshirt senior Sara Ramos (2:09.23), freshman Solie Laughlin (2:12.27) and senior Lexy Troup (2:12.69).

As the Aggies finish their season with a 5-2 overall record, they start to prepare for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships that begin on Feb. 17 in Monterey Park, Calif.

Written by Iman Farahani – sports@theaggie.org